Bed Bugs Should Be Abolished from Earth

Sydney Travel Blog

Bed bug nest found under the bed skirt on the box spring
Have you ever had bed bugs?  I have - twice in the past year.  Needless to say, it sucks.

The first time I was subletting a place in Toronto.  Apparently, there's an epidemic in T.O.  Apparently there's an epidemic in Australia too.  Lucky me.

At least this time around it seems to be a new infestation and nothing major.  There was evidence of only one nest in the box spring and it was small.  Listen to me, I sound like an expert now.  There are other things I'd prefer to be an expert in, but life tossed this my way so here I am.

It started several weeks ago when I would wake up with a couple of bite marks on my arms.  I thought it was some flying insect that got caught in the bedroom.  Really, I should have recognized this as bed bug denial.
Bed bugs
  I even went so far as to make a quick inspection of the mattress, but it was too quick and not thorough enough to see the little buggers hiding in the seams.

However, last night I had trouble sleeping.  My arm was itching like crazy and it was keeping me awake.  I got out of bed and put some anit-itch stuff on the bites and crawled back into bed.  That's when it happened.  I felt a tiny, faint, but positive crawling down my arm.  I plucked it into my fingers and turned on a light.  I had caught me a fully grown adult bed bug.  When I squished it it oozed out my own red blood.

There are three ways we could have gotten them:
1) We picked them up while staying at one of the many backpackers we've visited in the past 6 months around Oz and NZ
2) They migrated from another apartment unit
3)  They were already living in the carpet/walls before we moved in

Most likely the first situ since Oz backpackers are known to have problems with the buggers.
My hand next to 2 adult bed bugs. The one on the top is female and the one of the bottom is male.
  But I don't completely discount option three since the tenants before us were filthy and I can see how they may have not bothered to treat a bed bug problem since they didn't bother to treat the roach problem (btw, no roaches since we had an exterminator come in).

I decided to write this blog to help my fellow travelers avoid picking up bed bugs.  Here are some tips I've learned about on the internet:

- When staying at backpackers, avoid putting your backpack/luggage on the bed.  Bed bugs and their eggs can travel in your bags.
- Ditto with your clothing
- Inspect the sheets of a bed before sleeping at a backpacker.  If you see little brown dots, these are the remanences of bed bug deaths do to accidental squishing by the host (aka: human snack)

Signs you may have bed bugs:

- You catch a bed bug crawling up your arm.
My hand next to a small nest of bed bugs. The black dots are a tell-tale sign of a colony.
  They're nocturnal creatures though, and this likely won't happen until  just before dawn.  Plus, you can't feel them biting you cuz they inject a mild anesthetic into your skin when they bite.
- Bite marks on your arms, hands, and anywhere else your skin is exposed while you sleep.
- Little brown blood marks on your sheets and pillows from accidentally squishing the buggers while you sleep.
- If you can smell a sickly/sweet scent coming from your bed, then you have a SERIOUS problem.

What to do if you have bed bugs:

- Wash all your sheets and clothes in hot water.  All of them. 45C kills bugs AND eggs.
- THOROUGHLY inspect your mattress.  Bed bugs are very flat and like to hide under the seams.
- Vacuum GALORE.  Vacuum your entire mattress, box spring, bed frame, floors, and in cracks along the walls.  Bed bugs prefer to live near their host in fabric, carpet and/or wood.
- Toss your vacuum bag in the garbage outside.  Don't open your vacuum inside the house.  Clean it right away.
- Try steam cleaning your mattress.  45C kills bugs and eggs.
- Buy waterproof mattress coverings to completely cover your mattress 100%.  If there are any bugs still inside your mattress they will get stuck inside and can't feed on you.  Leave the cover on for at least a year cuz that's how long they can survive without a feed.
- All of the above is hard work and will be for nothing should you miss one egg, so if you have the funds, CALL AN EXTERMINATOR.

Happy travels my friends
Bed bug nest found under the bed s…
Bed bug nest found under the bed …
Bed bugs
My hand next to 2 adult bed bugs. …
My hand next to 2 adult bed bugs.…
My hand next to a small nest of be…
My hand next to a small nest of b…
photo by: Sunflower300