Mountain biking in the snow!

Beffe Travel Blog

I work for a Dutch outdoor sports organization, PBN Sport & Adventure, in Belgium. PBN owns two locations (group house, kitchen, bar, chalets), one of those is Sport Point. I have many colleagues, but sometimes you see each other only a few times a year. At the end of the season in November there is a mountain bike weekend for all the employers. This year there were 40 (of the 300) colleagues.

The weather forecast predicted snow and freezing temperatures. So I packed some extra thermo shirts and my skiing gloves. Friday night we arrived after 3,5 hour drive from Utrecht to Beffe. That's the small village where the location is. After arriving in this village, you take an off road. Really cool down hill! And a steep climb if you come from the location.

All our own bikes
We had a little snow when we arrived at 10.15pm. I was hoping for a lot of snow. But waking up 8am Saterday morning there was no snow. Fortunately as soon as I came out of my bed it started snowing and it only stopped for a short time.
In the morning we got a clinic from a famous professional Dutch mountain biker, Ramses Bekking. He tought us to improve our own skills. We did some difficult declines, steep inclines and technical off roads. In the mean time it was still snowing.
During lunch three colleagues and me decided we had done enough work out, but we still wanted to bike. So we took a mini van and put our bikes in it and drove up all the time. The last down hill we did was crazy!!! It was snowing really hard. We did a road down hilll of 16% decline and with many turns.
Breakfast time
There was a lot of snow on the road. So I put on all my clothes. I couldn't see a thing when we went down. It was kinda dangerous, but still we made it up to 50 km/h - 31 mph. In the morning there was no snow on the road yet and I had a speed of 70 km/h - 44mph. I love it! I was freezing when I arrived at the end. But I was so cool! Best biking ever!

At night it's one big party. People working for PBN are crazy, in the good way. We love doing sports and we love having a drink. Not a great combination but we manage. Even the next morning... There are always some practical jokes, big talk, water fights in the kitchen, and much more. So we play a lot games and have a drink with it. This time we played a fabulous game, it calls Jungle Speed. Goal is to get rid of your cards by recognizing doubles and conquer the trophy each time there is a double in your round.

Playing this game with my colleagues starts easy but results in wrestling to win the trophy. So it's kinda rough, but a lot fun.

Sunday morning... I had just a few hours sleep. Weather was not too good. It was freezing cold and still snowing. My bike was clean, and so was I. Somebody suggested to go langlaufen/cross country skiing. I'd never done it before and I wasn't planning to bike. So half of the group went biking and the other went for cross country skiing. Unfortunately the loipes were very bad. So there was more mud than snow, because every body was walking and playing there. I had a good time and learned how to do this sport. It's quite a work out. And off cours people start throwing snowballs at each other.

There I go, heading to a steep climb
Big fight! Funny. Nobody got hurt and we were all happy. Arriving back at the location we had a great lunch and cleaned the location.

In the mean time it was still snowing. The roads in Belgium were not very well. There was about 10cm of snow on the highway. In the Netherlands there is a special team that cleans the roads when there is snow or ice. I haven't seen that team in Belgium, while there is more snow falling every year. I never seen so many cars crashed on the highway. I think I saw about ten cars crashed because of the weather (and probably to much speeding...). After five hours I was back in Utrecht and took the train back home, to Amersfoort.

Pictures are coming soon. I forgot to bring my own camera. Very stupid, I know. Next time! So now I have to wait for my colleagues uploading their pictures...

Jacqinmiddenamerika says:
Wow, it looks like great fun mountainbiking throught a snowy landscape!! Ik meld me hierbij alvast aan ;-)
Posted on: Dec 14, 2008
Breakfast time
There I go, heading to a steep cli…
There I go, heading to a steep cl…
View from the location
Biking in the snow!!! Yeah!
Biking in the snow!!! Yeah!
It was cold!!!