Best bus ride ever

Siem Reap Travel Blog

Today was the first chance we had to sleep in. With no early morning transportation plans. No place to be except here. Nothing to see. With some fantastic thick cut toast and black coffee, it started out perfect.

Walking along moist, hand in hand. Picking up supplies for the impending bus trip. Crossing streets like a pro. Inhaling and wearing the dust that covers Siem Reap for the very last time. It almost feels like I'm at home. At this moment in time, I don't have a care in the world. I would be content just staring into the friendly faces on these streets for days if not months. People carry about their daily business. Scooters and cars glide pass in no hurry. Street stalls and the market just setting up for the day.
Grilled bananas
I don't want to leave, but I also want to move on to explore and tap into more of Cambodia. More of Phnom Penh. Where this all started. As cliché as it sounds, things have come full circle. It must end where it began. It is only now that I see the finish line in sight. I'm not sad that I will be soon home. I'm happy, that I got to have this experience, short as it may be.

As we caught the ferry to Siem Reap, we decided to bus it back. It also meant that we could sleep in, which is what decided it for me. We boarded the 12:30pm bus back to PP with what looked like a really empty bus. Besides us, there were only 4 other people on the bus including the driver. It continued to be this way for the remainder of the 6 hour trip, besides the extra couple which got on waiting by the street 10 minutes after we departed.
Dusty streets of Siem Reap
With this new romance feeling like we were back in high school, we decided to act like it and headed straight to the back. Becoming back seat bandits.

Having caught several planes with her, a ferry and taxis. Every time, without fail she would somehow manage to fall asleep with her head on my shoulder. I was sure she had some sort of sleep disorder. However, to my surprise not on this bus ride. It might have been the bumpy start which jolted her body into overdrive, but she was alert as any owl at night. For the whole ride, we talked. We talked from the moment we set our bums on the seat to the moment we leaped out of the door and into the streets of PP. We talked about stuff I wouldn't have imagined made bus conversations anywhere else in the world. We where breaking new ground and pioneering how bus conversations would be for ever more. Having lost my watch a few days earlier I had no gauge on time. Sure it was beginning to get slightly dark but I thought we were nowhere near our destination. But to my surprise those 6 hours on the bus went quicker than any I've lived through before. They just melted into all the fun which we were having. I kind of didn't want to get off the bus.I just wish all bus riders were like this.
Siem Reap