Make sure your day trip to Whitehaven Beach actually makes it to Whitehaven Beach

Airlie Beach Travel Blog

I booked my trip through Airlie Beach Central Reservations with a clear intent to visit Whitehaven Beach & snorkelling in the one day on a trip with low number of people.

Thought i had it all covered until the boat arrived in a bay and the Mantaray staff asked us to walk 250m to a lookout and then down to beach.
Walk was actually just under 2km - no warning from Central Reservation or Mantaray about that?! I had to do this in thongs carrying a beach towel??!!

Great view at the lookout, problem was we walked down to "Bettys Beach" as clearly signed by the Department of National Parks & Wildlife Service.
I had to sit on a small sand back with 100 other tourists from other charters with a large stretch of water between us and the beautifull long stretch of beach called Whitehaven.

Went back to Central Reservations who explained that the "beach" we had to walk to is not connected to Whitehaven beach at high tide. (!) They then tried to tell me it is all one beach even though it was signed otherwise. No Refund offered. Thanks alot Central Reservations and Mantaray for ruining the one day we had to visit Whitehaven.

Airlie Beach