Chicago downtown and Evanston

Chicago Travel Blog

Chicago downtown
This was my first trip to Chicago! GOD BLESS AA for their 200$ fare. I was going to be staying with my friend who works in Evanston.
So here goes the details, got in on Fri nite, went home and crashed. The fun began on Saturday!
Started the day with the Chicago Architecture Foundations River Cruise that begins at 9am on that Wacker Street. It was excellent. The guide of ours was talking a lot (I don't remember his name) and seemed to have either lived and worked at every building, or so he'd claim <g> but it was v informative. I was amazed. So much of love and thought has gone into the lovely skyline. Shot lots of fotos, and the weather was also v co-operative.
We finished that curise by about 11a, grabbed a Starbucks and did the Magnificent Mile thing.
I had pizza at the oft mentioned Pizzeria Uno on that Ohio Steet. The waiter was RUDE. I even complained to the manager about this. Besides that, the food was good. We tried the Deep Dish pizza. Just excellent.
After this, went to the FCUK store @ Water Place. They had a 40% off, We don't have a FCUK store in Dallas and I just love their clothes. So bought lots of stuff. And got done with all of this around 4pm.
Then crossed over to Hancock Centre. I loved the outside of the place. That basement complex with some cheesy singer, and couples dancing, people sitting with their Jamba Juice et al. Very impressive. It was beautiful!
We finally went up to Hancock and caught a view of the city. Lovely views. Although I will have to admit I've had better views from that Seattle Needle Tower.
But this was also good for what it's worth.
We got done with the whole exercise around 6pm.
And now comes the HIGHLIGHT of the trip - a town called EVANSTON. How perfect is this place??? I went to Northwestern University. Wandered around Sherman Drive for so long, I just couldn't notice my feet pain! Everything is so picture perfect there. Old houses, lots of young students, very multicultural and so touristy.  And dinner was at "Lulu's Dim Sum and Then Some". I had the best Korean Flat noodles EVER. It was quite funny seeing the American waiter pronouncing some of those names <g> but the food was top. And so much of quantity as well.
We then walked around NW Uni - lovely place. We saw the famous coloured stone (the one which they change the colour every year). It was all in all fab. I had no idea that Chicago has, what I'd consider one of the most perfect neighbourhoods in the US! Yes. I'd love to move into Evanston someday , i liked it that much!
westwind57 says:
Evanston.... good memories!! I spent some time there some 10 years ago for training, at the campus (I think our venue was called Kellogg's Centre) and staying in the hotel close by; of course already forgot the name :P You're right, probably one of the nicest towns in the US I have ever been too. Loved the old houses, the old trees that gave this beautiful shade and the walk along the lake. Nostalgia LOL :)
Posted on: Sep 24, 2012
sojourner says:
vikram, i grew up in evanston and agree that it's kind of a hidden gem. it's gotten much more developed over the last 10 years, what with all the commercial, office and residential construction downtown, but it's still a great place. next time there, if you are open to spicy, greasy, unhealthy fried food, you have to try buffalo joe's restaurant. the best chicken wings in the world.
Posted on: Dec 27, 2005