AsiaVietnamHanoi

Exploring the Old Quarter in Ha Noi

Hanoi Travel Blog

Seen along Trang Tien St.
I specially reserved this day for a walking tour of the Old Quarter which is highly recommended by several guide books on Vietnam that i've read. I think this is a must to get to know the city more, specially if your hotel is smack right in the middle of it.

So with my Lonely Planet, camera(s) and an additional map in hand, I went walking my way around the Old Quarter which I found so much fun! There's so much sights and sounds - they just explode! Also by this time, I have gotten used to all the chaos around me, specially those damn mopeds!

I started off at the street where my hotel is. I skipped the Lake area since I've already spent a lot of time there the days prior. There were quite a lot of interesting finds at the old quarter I must say:

On the corner of Hang Bac and Ha Tien, are hand-carved headstones with pictures of the deceased.
At City View Restaurant
What makes this little shop on the corner special is the gravestone bearing the picture of Britney Spears.

Along Ma May is the Old traditonal Hanoian House, for only 5000VND you can get to do a little sight seeing here. The house is really quite a neat, cozy place smack right in the middle of the busy quarter.

Along Hang Buom are a number of shops selling weasel coffee. I got settle in on the one at #103 (i have their business card... they hand it out in Vietnam like crazy!) and had my first cup of Cà phê Chon. I left the shop with my bag 1/2kg heavier. And because of that my cup of coffee was on the house. :)

Along the way is Bach Ma temple where I met this lone American Traveler who got locked inside the temple with me because apparently they close for lunch time.
Weasel Coffee Old Quarter, Hanoi
It took awhile for us to figure out how to open the door.

There was the old east gate that still stands mighty proud until today at Pho Hang Chieu.

And then there's Dong Xuan Market: Where they sell everything from fish to frogs!

I continued my walk Until I reached Hang Quat where I found this little shop that does "stamps with your name on it". I had three made for my nephews. I later food out that they are actually wood-carved and not rubber stamps. Pretty neat huh? I should've gotten myself one too. Maybe next time. I headed back to Cau Go where I had lunch yesterday (the one in front of my hotel)... Again I was fully satisfied.

I headed back to the hotel to rest for a couple of hours and did a little walking around the lake. I didn't follow the Lonely Planet Walking Tour anymore, since I already covered the other streets on several different occasions. I also bumped into Cosy and Shueray who was out shopping for the day. As the sun began to set, I headed on to City View Restaurant to just relax, have an early dinner and a drink.

This is life!

Weasel Coffee
Old Quarter, Hanoi
Weasel Coffee Old Quarter, Hanoi
Frogs @ Dong Xuan  Market
Old Qua…
Frogs @ Dong Xuan Market Old Qu…
On the Way Up City View Restaurant.
On the Way Up City View Restaurant.
Hanoi Hotels & Accommodations review
Great Location. Good Value for You Money.
Democracy Hotel's strength is it's location. Conveniently located in the Old Quarter (Cau Go St.) - north of Hoan Kiem Lake - it's just a 3-5 minu… read entire review
Hanoi