"This is when it all changes. And you gotta be ready!"

Cardiff Travel Blog

I'd only ever stayed overnight in Cardiff once before and as it happened it was in the same hotel - although I had forgotten that fact.

The journey down from Sheffield  is a long monotonous one broken up by a change at Bristol Parkway station.  That place really has to be amongst the worst stations I've ever encountered - two narrow platforms surrounded by a corrugated tin box with no discernible amenities this side of the ticket barrier!  Awful place.

Anyway I digress.  What struck us last time I stayed there was how deserted the city centre was all evening - we barely saw a soul.  It was so quiet we wondered if we'd wandered onto a film set and everyone that had been milling about in the day were actually paid extras!

There were a few more people about this time round (and it was a Tuesday rather than a Monday when I last visited) but it was hardly what you'd call thronging.  For a capital city it's a very quiet place.

Since my last visit this place has become home to two of my favourite TV shows - Doctor Who and Torchwood - the latter of which spends a lot of time filming in the modern bay area.

Unfortunately I managed to visit at just about the only time of year that neither of them were in production.

Only being here overnight on business I didn't manage to see much of the city as I didn't stray far from the hotel.  That said it wasn't easy to find anywhere to eat as the main shopping area seemed bereft of bars or restaurants.  Perhaps there's no need for them on a film set...?
Cardiff