The Romans really were everywhere

Amman Travel Blog

downtown

We were meant to leave the hostel at 730am.  Naser (the hostel owner) called the bus company the night before to reserve us two seats so that, when the bus drove by the hostel, we could jump right on.  The 730 bus stopped at the hostel- with one seat open.  No worries, we just waited to for the next one that came 15minutes later.  Thanks to Naser calling and saying something in harsh sounding Arabic this bus actually had two seats saved for us.

Our large backpacks took up quite most of the aisle and doorway (everyone elses bags were taking up the rest of the aisleway) so it was pretty comical to watch people try and get into the bus for the standing room only that was left over.  Even funnier was when people started lighting up cigarettes and noone could open a window.

Arrival in Amman was stragely anti-climactic: the door opened, we got out, and then we were alone.  After haggling with a cabbie we got to our hostel, the Palace hotel- nice place, breakfast included.  We showered and rested for about an hour the decided to make the most of Amman time and see some sites.  Too bad I was hungry...

For those of you that know me you know that when I don't eat I can get a little cranky (one of my friends calls me the Hulk).  We walked and walked and all we saw was some knd of Jordanian fast food place- hotdogs and chicken burgers...I was ready to eat anything.  Ryan wasn't though and he- rightly- said that we should keep walking.  Good thing we did; we found a great swaerma place and ate a huge plate of goodness.

After lunch it was backtracking a little the the Roman ampitheater.  Amman, all of Jordan in fact, was once part of the Roman Empire and they left their little stamps all over the place.  The ampitheater is in great condition and the two museums flanking it (one on Jordanian popular culture, the other a Folk musem)- all for only 1 JD!  There is also a lovely park just outside where locals hang out and drink delicious tea...yumy yummy.

Since lunch was so husge dinner was a fresh squeezed fruit smoothie...So long Jordan, it's been great.

Im waxing poetic