Home Sweet Home

Dhahran Travel Blog

my dad golfing

My family lives on the largest compound in the country: 11,000 people.  It’s really self-contained; we have a bowling alley, a movie theater, a golf course, two accredited schools, grocery stores…our own little city.  Think Scottsdale, AZ without the stripmalls.

We spent the nest two weeks relaxing- moonshine parties, meet-n-greets, racquetball.  I love being at home and maybe one day I’ll get to come back on my own terms.

Our last day was meant to be April 24- catching the flight out of Bahrain the next morning at 1155.

the highway in town
  Of course, nothing happens the way it's meant to on this trip.  In Cambodia our flights were delayed for hours, in Bangkok our luggage was overweight, Ryan gets put into the ICU while scuba diving, and in Saudi we can't leave the country.

That's right- the Saudi immigration officers wouldn't let us leave.  Ryan's visa was 3 days expired and, instead of paying a fine and sending us on our merry way
"You!  Go back Saudia!"
"But, sir, we have a flight today and we will miss it...can we pay the fine?"
"No! Not my problem! Go back Saudia!"

We went back to the immigration office in the city.  They said we need a stamp from the people who issued the visa and then to fill out a form (all in Arabic) and then come back to immigration to pay the fine..."Very easy, no problem." Well shit...

We did go back, to my house.  I called my dad (he was in the operating room) and he got someone to cover the rest of his shift.  He took Ryan to the Saudi Airlines office, they had issued the visa, and there they sat for 4 hours drinking tea and making things work through the power of smiles and good conversation.  I was sure we would have to cancel the Jordan leg of our trip because of the red tape but my dad pulled us through.  After giving the right grease money and shaking the right people's hands we were back in the car driving out of the country...

This time we made it.  We caught the 7am flight to Jordan the next morning...

danielskaf85 says:
Hi Iolakana,

I am new to eastern area and i would like to know if any activity can be arranged for meet up with new friends.

daniel

Posted on: Jan 28, 2013
Maui says:
I miss dhahran so much! Too bad I can never go back, and if i did, it just wouldn't be the same
Posted on: Jan 25, 2008