The solution

Torres Del Paine Travel Blog

glacier grey 2

Checked with the refugio it turns out that there is a tour boat that comes up from the hosteleria at the end of the lago that visits the glacier and it just happens that it will make a stop at the refugio the next day!!! The only draw back is the cost. So the plan is I'll try and get back to puerto natales get a new pair of shoes then head out the next day to join Shawn at the east end of the park and we'd meet by 330pm the next day. Well at least it's some sort of plan.

So the next day we packed up the tent rationalised our stuff so that he'd have enough food before meeting me the next day and we bad farewell to each other in the hopes of meeting at the other end and hiking up the torres del paine.

I had a couple of hours to kill before the boat arrived so I took a walk to the mirador in my slippers to get a close up look at glacier.

mountain stream
I found a nook in the rocks and buried myself to escape the cold winds while watching the sun shine on the glacier. It was a wonderful feeling, all alone in the pantagonian wilderness looking at this massive glacier and the mountains rising up around it. It made one feel so insignificant in this whole world. In fact this was to become a recurring theme throughout the trip.

Finally at 1pm the boat came and it traversed the length of the glacier up close and I was able to get some incredible shots of the blue ice. They also provided pisco on the rocks. The rocks being glacial ice. So here I was on a boat taking a cruise with pisco in hand while shawn was struggling on his way to campamento italiano and the french valley.

Arrived at the dock at 330pm managed to get a ride to the administration building but there were no buses till 630pm.

I was getting worried that i wouldn't be able to get into town intime to get the shoes so I managed to flag down a tour bus heading into town. The tourist must have been surprised to see a hiker in the torres del paine coming aboard what more in slippers.

Got to town at 730pm rushed around like crazy with my hiking pack and in slippers looking for a shoe store. Just managed to get a pair before it closed wolfed down some dinner and had a rest in a hostel and left early the next morning to meet shawn at the east end of the park.

Little did I know that would end up becoming another interesting event in our track

glacier grey