A rainy day

Torres Del Paine Travel Blog

misty and wet morning

It finally rained on our great pantagonian adventure.

We woke up to the sound of rain drops tapping against the fly of our tent. With great difficulty we dragged ourselves out of our warm and comfortable sleeping bags, prepared a quick breakfast, broke camp and headed down the mountain. It was a light drizzle but was accompanied by fog and mists. Very atmospheric but it must have been a let down for those planning on heading up to the torres.

I'd met a girl who also did the W but gave up after 3 days of continuous rain and poor visibility. What really did her in was her rental tent which leaked from day one and left her and her sleeping bag wet. I must congratulate her for her persistence, i'd probably have decided to stay at refugios if that happened to me.

It was an easy trek down to the refugio torres and we spent the day there doing laundry and preparing for the next part of our adventure. The great pantagonian kayak trip.

As an aside the refugio  was pretty enough unfortuntely it was really not worth the money. Very expensive for beds in dorms which had thin partitions that didn't even reach the ceiling. This meant you could hear what was happening at the other end of the corridor. What made things worse was a tour group that arrived and talked so loudly and kept banging doors etc. Really noisy. I learnt a few swear words in different languages by people who were too irritated by all the commotion.

So it was a bit of a fitful sleep and we'd have done better in our own tent at the campsite. At least it would have been quieter.

Torres Del Paine