Mix up at 700m

Torres Del Paine Travel Blog

So the next day I took the early bus and reached the western trail head for the torres walk. It was another beautiful sunny day. I looked at the map and noticed a trail junction where I could meet shawn so that we could shorten the walk to the torres del paine campsite up in the mountains. So of I went like a happy puppy and before I knew it, it was 1+hrs into the walk and I had climbed 700m. This got me a bit concerned as I remembered that the distance to the trail junction shouldn't have been that long. I climbed on for a while longer and came upon a trail junction and decided to wait here for Shawn. Time passed and as  I relooked at the map i became more concerned. I spoke to some people and to my horror I realised I had missed the trail junction and to make matters worse there was actually another trail junction that wasn't marked on the map.

valley to the torres

Decisions decisions, I met some trackers who were going the opposite direction and I asked them to pass a message to any chinese guy that I was waiting up ahead. It was at this time that I realised how much we'd taken mobile phones for granted. If we each had one now the problem would easily have been solved.

After waiting a couple more hours on the now very hot and sunny hillside I decided that it was too near to our meet time so I decided to head back down. And there along the road was Shawn trudging along. Turns out he was totally spent the day before trying to get into french valley after a long hike and for the 1st time on our trip he'd woken up past 10am.

We decided to camp at the western trail head and head up the mountain the next day.

park warden

After a good meal and a good rest we headed up the mountain. It was a beautiful day, with clear skys. Once again we climbed the 750m and when we turned the corner the beautiful valley leading to the torres del paine greeted us. Before we knew it we'd reached our campsite and were cooking up a nice warm soup and bread for lunch.

At 1pm we pushed on up to the torres. It was an interesting scramble amoung loose scree and boulders that were the remnants of a glacier. The views of the torres was truly awesome. Huge chunks of granite sculpted by nature to a knifes edge rising up into the sky. No photo could do them justice. Well none that I could take anyway.

finally at the torres