EuropeFranceNice

A Day of Sightseeing

Nice Travel Blog

View from the train station

We got up early today in order to get a full day of sightseeing in.  We decided we would go walk around Old Nice and also go to Monte Carlo to see all the lavish yachts.  We were very proud of ourselves because this was the first day in Nice where we did not have any problems figuring out the transportation.  We got on all the right trains, got off at all the right bus stops, everything was perfect.

First, we went to Monte Carlo.  We got off the train and we couldn't figure out where the exit was for the station.  We went out this one door that ended up being the roof.  There was a HUGE bird that flew up there and landed 10 feet away from us.  I have a huge fear of birds, so I wanted to get the heck out of there.

Pretty boat
  We finally managed to get out of the train station and started walking towards the port.  Out of no where we saw this little chapel tucked away right next to the station.  It wasn't something you see everyday and both of us were intrigued by the small, out of place chapel and the people going in and out of it.

I don't know too much about cars, my only judgement is if they are pretty or not.  There was this gorgeous, yellow sports car that I know some guys would salivate over if they came in contact with it.  It is insane the amount of money some people have and the things they buy with it.  The wealth of the Riviera was further shown through the gigantic yachts with personal servers that fulfill your every whim.

Further down the coast we saw this really interesting, huge memorial.

Big yacht
  What it said, I have no idea but I believe it was a memorial to sea merchants or the navy, something to do with water.  Once we had seen enough of Monte Carlo we got back on a train and headed back to Nice.

Before we went to Old Nice, we wanted to have some lunch.  We were missing the amazing Mexican food you get in Texas, and we had the biggest craving for salsa so we went to the super market near our hostel and found one kind of salsa called Old El Paso.  We also bought some amazing cheeses and crackers.  The salsa was terrible, but it was good enough to satisfy our craving.  The cheese was delicious though.  Once our tummies were full we headed out for Old Nice.

Old Nice is a very interesting part of the city with its vast markets and beautiful architecture.

Random church by the train station
  There was a flower market with an extensive selection of beautiful flowers.  They had these huge lotus flowers, gorgeous tulips, perfect roses, even flowers that I had never seen before.  In another section of the market were these wonderful wooden kitchen utensils, cutting boards, and salt and pepper shakers.  If I wasn't backpacking I probably would have bought one of everything.

That night Ben and Greig were leaving on an over night train to Barcelona.  Since we were leaving the next morning we told them that they should meet us at the train station when we arrive.  They promised that they would, we said our goodbyes and went to bed to prepare for our early train.

Pretty car
Pretty car
Not sure what I was taking a pictu…
Not sure what I was taking a pict…
Nice