Cinque Terre: My Favorite Italian Getaway

Cinque Terre Travel Blog

On our terrace before dinner

After everything that happened trying to get to Torino, I was a bit relieved once we started heading towards Cinque Terre.  Having been there once before, I knew that this was the place to go and relax and let all the stress of traveling be a distant memory.  Plus, we would have enough time here to actually get comfortable and not have to always be rushed.

The train ride was flawless, we just sat back and relaxed as we zoomed past the Italian landscape.  Once we arrived in Corniglia, the town Erin and I were staying in, we picked up our backpacks and headed towards THE stairs.  The stairs here are very memorable to me because there are over 100, and in my previous trip with my family, my father had quite a hardship trying to lug all his belongings up and down this thing.

There is also a bus that can take you up to the top of the hill, but who wants to pay when you can easily do it yourself.

So, we make it to the top and now I have to use the one pay phone at the center of town to call the owner of the pensione we'd be staying in - Pensione Cecio.  We meet up with him at Ristorante Cecio (in my opinion, the best restaurant in Cinque Terre) that is just down the road to Vernazza.  He and I start to talk a little bit of Italian with each other as Erin stands there, a bit confused.  He takes us to our room and we ask for a reservation on the terrace of his restaurant for dinner.   Dinner was spectacular and the view, even more spectacular.

Erin went up to our room while I waited to use the pay phone.

Flavio, Erin, and Matteo
  While I was there, a boy (about 17) walked up to me and started asking me questions in Italian.  I could follow along pretty well, but he could tell Italian wasn't my first language.  He asked to take me and my friend around the town, so of course I said we would like to - a great chance to see more of Corniglia!

We met up with him and his cousin and found out their names were Matteo and Flavio.  They took us around the town and showed us these steps leading down towards the water.  Apparently fishermen leave their boats here while they aren't out in the water because we passed by several wooden boats.  It was a gorgeous night and we spent the rest of our time trying to help each other learn the other's language better.

Cinque Terre