Walker Art Center

Minneapolis Travel Blog

When Shannon tried to get a hold of me the first ten times I thought nothing of it.  I don't really like talking on the phone and I abhor voice messages (I never have time to listen to them).  Then came the barrage of e-mail and Facebook notices...my friend from high school was getting married and it was high time we got together again.  So I took the first few days off of school and headed on up to visit the Land of 10,000 Lakes for the first time.

With a nickname like "Land of 10,000 Lakes" I automatically assume mosquitos the size of bats and gnats in swarm.  Maybe I wasn't there at the peak season.  Maybe the mosquito is NOT the state bird like everyone claims.  Maybe I just wasn't there long enough.  I'm going to go with that last one until I have further evidence against the second.
Putt-putt art
  Seriously though, the weather was perfect...not too humid and warm enough to find myself in shorts...not easily accomplished as I will wear pants until it is north of 90F.

That Saturday it was a perfect 98F and our nephews needed to get out of Eden Prairie to challenge us to a few rounds of putt-putt in Minneapolis.  The Walker Art Center was hosting an exhibit of Green Inspired Art outside.  Sure the holes weren't really functional as far as golf is concerned, but they did look good.  After 14 rounds we crossed the street to see America's largest collection of urban sculpture.  I have to admit I got excited seeing more of Oldenburg's work (after the soft shuttlecocks in the Guggenheim and their hard cousins at the Nelson Atkins in Kansas City), Alexander Calder's mobiles and of course a sculpture by the architect, Frank Gehry.  Pretty stellar, you should take a gander yourself sometime.

We spent a total of 3 days in Minnesota and I enjoyed every moment.  I'm excited to return for a longer stint next time...
After my own heart