It's All About the Journey...

Dayton Travel Blog

In late 2004, I was worried that US Airways was going to go bankrupt and I was going to lose the frequent flyer miles I had with them.  So I convinced my brother to go on a long weekend trip to Vegas if I could find a way to use the miles.  After some searching I found a flight out on a Sat. morning with a return back home on the red-eye on Mon. night.  So a chance to spend a weekend with my brother and do a little gambling sounded like a good idea.

Headed to the airport on Sat. morning and things weren't looking pretty.  It was lightly snowing in the Dayton area, but a full blown nor'easter was supposed to explode on the east coast later in the afternoon.  We were supposed to be out of Philadelphia by that time, but you never can tell.  We asked at check-in whether we could re-route through Charlotte instead of Philly and while the agent said he could get us to Charlotte OK, our odds of getting on a plane to Vegas were slim with the flights already overbooked.  So it looked like the gambling was going to start even before we reached Las Vegas as we got our boarding passes for the flight to Philadelphia and proceeded to the gate.  Flight to Philadelphia went smoothly but exiting the plane to snow gently descending from the sky was to prove an ill omen for the rest of the weekend.

photo by: denisx