Sunday's theme is dead bodies

Phoenix Travel Blog

the hunters

If days have themes (and some of them seem to) today’s theme was dead bodies.  Nothing criminal mind you, all in good clean fun.

A cousin of ours in Phoenix had arranged for my husband and he and another cousin to go hunting.  They were going to spend the day shooting pheasants at a hunting club’s private fields.  They loaned my husband a Croatian 28 gauge shotgun to use so he was happy even though it’s been years since he last went hunting.

His wife and I weren’t interested (or invited) so we went to the Body Worlds exhibit at the Arizona Science Center.

Body Worlds
  Fascinating!!  A German anatomist took donated cadavers, saturated them in some kind of preservative, removed the skin and posed the resulting body so you could see the muscles, nerves, organs, veins and arteries.  It sounds a little gruesome but I soon forgot I was looking at corpses in fascination at the intricacy of a human body.  Due to the preservative, there’s no corruption and due to the removal of the skin, there is no personalization.  The result doesn’t look like any particular person anymore than a skull does so you soon get past the “yuck” factor and focus on the network of systems that make up a human body.  Especially interesting were the nerve network, implanted replacement knees and hips, and the slices showing effects of smoking or cancer.  This exhibit is something you have to see if you’re interested in how things work but I won’t suggest it for children.  And when you go see Body Worlds, make sure you spend the extra $4 for the headphones - the commentary adds alot of information.

My husband and the guys got back about the same time as the other wife and I did.  We compared our day of “dead bodies”.  The guys shot 15 birds (9 pheasants) and my husband got 3 on only 3 shots (he said if you missed you had to do pushups and he wasn’t doing pushups).

Somehow all those carcasses made us hungry so we went to P F Chang’s, a Chinese chain restaurant, for dinner.  I had a vegetarian meal.
the road to Phoenix from San Diego