two weeks gone already

Chiang Mai Travel Blog

The last few days have all been rather fast paced, what with the moped to zip around on, so I made a concious effort yesterday to just go to a little park and spend a quiet afternoon chilling out on my own. Suprisingly fresh cool air created by the fountains blowing up a bit of mist.  Finished reading 'Life of Pi', which is such a good book and perfect for traveling.... part-xed it for Lonely Planet's Collection of Close Calls and Edgy Escapades, which is similarly apt I think.

Last night went out to Jens place again, for Peter's good bye dinner (off to Cambodia to work in an orphanage for a week or two, then probably rendez-vous with me in the south), cocktails and some halarious games of charades. Ten of us in all.... including Jens slighly tipsy and very ammourous chinese neighbour who just resoted to smothering him with kisses rather than act out a charade.
Very ammusing. Ohh and i discovered the delights of a 'rusty nail' ; 2 shots of scotch, 1 shot Drambuie and a twist of lemon. Bloody lovely

Jumping back to Sunday, went with Martin for a swim at the sports complex here, and we were lucky enough to find a fairly large drag raceing meet/competition well under way. Took quite a good mini-film of one of the runs, but i'm not sure if the video format will work if i post it here. Then sampled the open air 50M pool, ploughing out a swift 1Km, with bats fluttering overhead as dusk was drawing in. Ended up having a rather late night at 'Spicy' (one of the few places open past 2am) drinking Sangsom buckets with Nuch (lovely thai girl I met the night before) and her friends.

Next day drove up to a waterfall on the road which goes to Doi Suthep (one of the more important temples in the area, perched at the top of the hill).
Really good views back to Chiang Mai and a perfect place to recover from the hangover. Saw a massive spider - full leg span had to be over 6 inches. Makes me shudder just thinking about it. (I'll get the photo Martin took.)

Wednesday went climbing out at the rocks again. I had just bought myself the local guide-book so Martin and I went to find an area called Hanging Gardens with some short and fairly easy routes for which I wouldn't have to miss any clips due to lack of gear. Managed three routes (two 5bs, one 5c) all clean onsight leads, so was very happy with myself. Starting to get a bit of confidence back.... and know that I should soon actually practice falling, but the thought of it has the same effect on me as that spider.

Now it's so close to xmas there's no point moving on, so looks like i'll stay here one more week and head south on the 26th or 27th. Not sure if i'll break it up with a stop in bangkok or just push right through...... Just can't wait for my first dip in the sea!
mikeES says:
glad you are having a good time in Chiang Mai hope the rest of the trip goes well
Posted on: Dec 20, 2008