Peru 2008: Day 3 - Machu Picchu and back to Cuzco

Machu Picchu Travel Blog

Our third day in Peru has been our best yet. This morning we woke to enjoy a lovely breakfast in the hotel dining room overlooking the river and mountains. A few cups of coca tea (I am really beginning to love the stuff) and we were off to catch the bus to Machu Picchu. The bus was approx $12 USD round trip and takes you all the way to the entrance of Machu Picchu. You must buy your pass for the park down in Agua Caliente, BEFORE taking the bus up. The pass is about $40 USD.

This bus was much more spacious than the one we took yesterday from Cuzco, but the curves on the road are terrifying. At times we were right at the edge overlooking a steep drop off. The road up to the park is a series of long switchbacks and I've included a picture of it in the photos for today.

Machu Picchu is breathtaking. Simply spectacular what the Inca people accomplished here. And they certainly must not have been afraid of heights- this site is literally built into the mountainside, surrounded by the Andes on all sides with a view to the river valley far far below.

We stayed at Machu Picchu until the early afternoon and then took the bus back to Agua Caliente to relax. We took in a massage at the internet cafe/ice cream/massage place that sits on the corner of the town plaza. $20 for a full hour massage  - can't beat that! After our massages we had a delicious 4 course French-Peruvian lunch at Indio Feliz. We started with a French Onion soup that had a little heat added vis a vis hot peruvian peppers. It was a great twist on the classic and something I'm going to try to replicate at home. For our main entries, we both had trout; I had the spicy French sauce and my husband enjoyed the mango salsa on his.

Just in time to catch the train back to Cuzco, we finished lunch and walked to the terminal. It was a long (4 hours) and uneventful ride back. We met some very nice people on the train from Europe (henceforth known as William the Englishman and Jonathan the Irishman). They had actually walked the Inca trail- a grueling 4 day hike to the Machu Picchu site from the Sacred Valley area of Peru.

Tomorrow we tour the Sacred Valley and then Cuzco in the evening. So far, so good!
jojostevie says:
I would love to visit Machu Picchu!!!! You photos are fab!!!
Posted on: Nov 17, 2008
Jonathan the Irishman (met him on …
Jonathan the Irishman (met him on…
Machu Picchu