A Walk in the Hills

Colorado Springs Travel Blog

Perfect Walking Companion

Yep.  I was sure there was nothing left to see after our slush storm on Wednesday, but Mother Nature proved me wrong yet again.  Our buddy Steve is constantly bugging us to get up and outside.  Being the fair-weather girl that I am, I only grudgingly consent maybe a 10th of the time and only if it is above 60F.  Today Steve was in luck with it being almost 70F and blue skies.

We took the Lower Hogback Trail from the car park on 31st street down into the valley.  The red dust path winds past fossilized remains from when Colorado Springs was under water a few million years back.  In the rock you can find mollusks and shark teeth in the undulating rock.  Keep going and the prairie opens wide with vistas of Pikes Peak as the backdrop.  As you walk into the valley you can begin to hear the calls of the rock climbers coming across the meadow and see the reflected sunlight from their helmets dot the sides of the red rocks lined by Arborvitaes.  Cyclists race by you and dog owners say hello as you pass each other.  It really is a great place to remind yourself that a) summer doesn't have to be the only pretty season and b)Colorado Springs can be one of the most impressive places on Earth when you poke around it a bit.

poorogies says:
I agree...she's a keeper ;)
Posted on: Dec 11, 2008