AsiaMaldivesMale

Ordinary Day in the Maldives

Male Travel Blog

whale

Its Wednesday and its almost the weekend.  I hopped into the speedboat to Male (Capital) for a meeting...all week had been hectic in the office, coming to Male for a couple of hours will be a different view so, even if its for work, the boat ride to and from will make you feel as if you are on  holiday.  Not just that, the sun and sea around you are apparent ingredients to make you feel that way all the time.

Hop into the speedboat at 9.30am, the boat went to drop a couple to the airport to catch their plane back home, as soon as they went off the boat, I was already envious of them flying out of Maldives..hmmm, but then sat back on the boat and looked at the crystal water around me.

the one that nearly hits the boat
..whoa! it's enough to make me feel better.  The sun was shining so bright that I cant even see anything from a distance...as it hurts the eyes.  Once the boat boys were finished unloading the luggage, we head off to Male so I can be on the meeting.  It's just 10 mins away from the Hulhule Island where the airport is.  When we arrived Male it was not even 10am.  Vivek suggested we grab a coffee...on our way was Jade Bistro (I wrote a review on this). Jade was full of customers..and long tables wow! So, we happily sat and ordered breakfast. I had a chocolate croissant and morroccan tea while Vivek had chocolate croissant and cappuccino. The tea was great and Vivek liked the cappuccino.
dolphins
.the croissant was not as good as we expected but its ok!

10 mins to 11am we walked towards Nashandra Palace, its a hotel in Male where we are going to attend the meeting. There were a couple of many other attendees who came before us. When we enter immediately we were looking for our name on the table..hehehe..we couldnt find it.  This is by the way normal in the Maldives, if the name is not familiar then its ok if its not there! Anyway, sat at the meeting for two hours, my bum was complaining big time - not only that the seat was not comfortable its also the fact that whatever was discussed in the meeting was something that was already discussed in the previous week.  Blah, blah, blah.

Dolphins swimming with the boat
Fasy from another resort who was sitting next to me felt the same - what a waste of time..Anyway, the meeting was followed with a huge buffet lunch - its free of charge by the way - so our complains were minimized! hehehe

After lunch at around 2pm, Vivek and myself decided to meet up with a friend as our boat will not be in until an hour.  We went back to Jade Bistro and meet with a friend, this time they were really full.  We were lucky though to get a table. The three of us had a milk shake and Jinah our friend had a big sandwich with it. Since we just came out of lunch we decided to grab some dessert. I had a chocolate cake and Vivek decided to get half of my cake..hmmm..cheeky! Anyway, we were kicked out of our seats when we finished eating, not even a time to drink water and sit.

April 2007 sunset
Not good! Anyway, we did enjoy chatting with Jinah but we also have to go catch our boat back!

The sun was unbelievable! Its too hot and really humid. Vivek and me were both cursing ourselves for not wearing something really light - this time we were both dreaming of attending another meeting on our swimwears! hahaha..anyway, jetty no.8 is just a few steps away from Jade Bistro, so we just crossed the street and we were there.  We hopped to our boat immediately - cant wait to head back.  About 100meters from the breakwaters of Male.  We saw dolphins from a distance. The boat captain slow down the engine when we were nearing them.  Then we stopped...a school of dolphin was crossing the channel.  Unfortunately, I didnt have my camera..so some shots I took from my mobile phone.  Not a good shot though, but its enough to make out its a dolphin.  There were dolphins really near the boat.  There were some further away (huge ones), jumping up and down.  We got really excited as there were too many of them.  Wow, what a day!

When I came back to the resort, I was so happy to show the photos in my phone... apparently the huge black ones are not dolphins but whales! Wow - isnt that amazing? and its just an ordinary day in the Maldives!

ekthor says:
How "ordinary" can a day be if you get to see dolphins and whales!? I'm realxing already by just looking at the pictures =)
Posted on: May 11, 2007
Kana says:
Ahhh, you call a day like this "ordinary"?!
Lucky you! :)
Posted on: May 11, 2007
jenyenh says:
just let me know, when you can.. dont know how long I will be here as well..cheers
Posted on: May 02, 2007