AsiaMaldivesMale

Escape from Paradise

Male Travel Blog

huhuhu couldnt get a room anywhere!

After two weeks of not being able to get out from this tiny island due to my assistant being away for a week my off day was cancelled last week, I am desperate to even take any boat out of this tiny space Im in. Planning a get away for this weekend to another resort.  Thomas a friend of mine who I used to work with in Vietnam is now in the Maldives too with Banyan Tree Resort, he tried to get me a room there, unfortunately they are full, although he offered his own villa for me to stay but Tracey want to come along and he has no space for one more.  So, that leaves me no where.... huhuhu... Started panicking and calling friends in the neighboring islands.  Hmmmm.. which resort will be able to accommodate me with less notice???? so, I called Shareef from Mirihi resort, although I dont even know where his resort is located! He has available room however the resort is 30 mins by plane and with my short notice it is impossible to get me into a plane for a night and back, so this one is a NO!

Woke up very early saturday morning, first thing came to mind was my get away for the night.

Pranav happily cutting the piece of cake for his face! shhhhh
  The time is ticking and I still havent got a room anywhere.  I called Faseeh from Bandos Resort - my last hope! As I called him I thought if this one is full then I will have to confine myself in my room for the weekend.  Luckily, Faseeh said he has a room for me. Was I happy? Gush, I couldnt help smiling the whole morning. Bandos Resort is the second oldest resort in the Maldives its about 15 mins boat ride from Male, located in North Male Atoll, its actually 30 mins from my resort.  As I got Faseeh's confirmation, called Tracey right away and confirmed.
the cake meant for the face, thanks Kunal!
The getaway begins!

Attended the morning meeting like any morning, hmmm - one more task to complete before the getaway! I was seated oposite to tracey, our minds were somewhere else already. surprisingly, I wasnt yawning this morning while discussing about boring stuff, instead was busy sending tracey messages about our getaway. One more thing, It was pranav's birthday (one of our colleague), so we did the usual stuff, cake, gifts, singing and painting his face with the cake frostings! But the fun got over in half an hour while our (tracy and I) excitement has just begun. Cant wait to hop into a boat to Bandos!

Time was ticking! I kept on calling the reception checking for the next boat to Male, was so excited to get away.

there you go! happy bday!
Planned to go at 3pm, then postponed to 5pm..too many papers on my desk - at some point was thinking to get a match and burn it...finally - I forced myself out of the office at 6pm..Gush! that was easy! Run to my room to pack, took shower and called Tracey to catch 7pm boat to Male. Walking at the jetty, my phone didnt stop ringing.  endless call of duty! this happens all the time, the moment I stepped out of the office - the phone starts ringing. While seated on the boat Tracey felt bad for me that phone calls interrups our excitement. She gave me this look that you can easily read as "dont tell me we have to go back"! Between the sound of engine and my voice, everyone else figured out that I am carrying my office on my phone. Damn! I cant believe I am

As soon as we arrived Male, Tracey bounced so excited, while my mood was in between office and the get away, tried to lift my spirits to what lies ahead, Anyway, got to go for another boat ride to Bandos!

Tracey and I hurried to get off the boat.

hmmm what to do with these papers?
We are supposed to take Orchid 39 (speedboat name), we didnt know where it is, no idea what it looks like. Tracey got worried perhaps the boat left without us. So we went back and forth jetty no. 6, 7, and 8.  Then 3 men standing at jetty no. 8 smiled and greeted us, asked if we are heading to Bandos! Voila! this is the one. Tracey was so surprised that we were the only ones on the boat.  Apparently Faseeh had arranged a private transfer for us. We didnt know this! Wow!

It was already dark, there was nothing much to see on the way to Bandos, but our excitement of getting there was overwhelming, at this moment the issues at work were drifting out of my conciousness!  When we arrived Bandos Faseeh was waiting for us at the arrival jetty.

Tracey posing in our room at Bandos
 As soon as we stepped out of the boat, I introduced Tracy to him, he lead us to the reception, we were seated and given a welcome drink.  It was a mixed fruit drink, refreshing but little sweet. Sat at the reception asking Faseeh millions of questions regarding Bandos.  Then, the receptionist informed us that they dont have a room for Tracey as they are fully booked, we are more than happy to share the room as we dont even know if we will even stay there long enough to enjoy Bandos.  After getting our signature in the registration card, the receptionist came back with a key and a map of the resort! Tracey and I were staring at each other, we are so used to our tiny paradise that there is no chance of getting lost.
falling leaf
We stared at the map, didnt know when to start using it! Looking at the map mde us feel already lost! The receptionist was nice, he waited until we are ready to move to offer us escort to our room. We exchanged nice words with Faseeh and the receptionist lead us to our room, he has explained some of the areas of the resort along the way, but because it is quite dark its difficult to figure out where its located in the map. When we arrived in our room we didnt know what to expect as Bandos has been Bandos for 33 years!

The room was made of wood, as usual in Maldives, but it looks clean and well maintained. There is no sign of age at all. The receptionist expalined whats in the room, safe, bathroom, duvet, extra blanket, etc.

the map
Then he left us when we ran out of questions! The guy was informative, well, he does this job for 10 years! The bed looks really nice, Tracey and I particularly liked the cover sheet, the colour was nice, whoever decided for it has a good taste! Looked at the watch, its already 8.30pm.  Tracey couldnt wait to see the SPA and I couldnt wait to go to the dive school. So, we grab the map made an imaginary route on where we have to go.  The spa was an easy find, so Tracy got her moment first.  There were no guests in the Spa when we arrived there, the receptionist was so nice, he greeted us with a sincere smile.  A guy standing next to the receptionist who we can tell just stepped out of the sauna greeted us and offered to show us around.
  Exactly like what we thought, he just came out of the sauna. He introduced himself as the manager and went on showing us their treatment rooms and explained us their products, etc.  Tracey was all along very participative as if we will be having a quiz any minute. While my mind was wandering what kind of fishes will I see for my dive tomorrow. Hmmm, I didnt realised the tour was over until the we came back to the reception and was served hot tea. A lady named Rina introduced herself as the spa manager - hmmm, then we got confused - how many managers they have? So, we were seated, Tracey had a chat with her, looking at the spa menu, asking for opinions what treatment she will have blah, blah, blah. I was there pretending I had the same interest, but I was dreaming I was looking at pictures of different dive sites! So, tracey had finally booked her treatment for tomorrow.
  By the time we stepped out of the spa, my stomach was already grawling! We back track our steps from the room and we came across the main restaurant, it was an easy decision to stop there, couldnt hold much longer.  The restaurant was huge, I can tell you it can hold around 150 covers easily.  Its an open area so you can a lot of movements in the place, in front was the sandbar was quite full, most of the guest walks to the sandbar after dining in the restaurant. Its a convenient walk.  The buffet was not that great, but the staff were amazing, very helpful! We talked and  talked in between bites and we laughed out loud.  then the waiter came to us and asked if we need anything as they are closing, we looked around.
.we were the only table left, everyone else had gone to the bar.  So, we giggled our way to the bar, spotted a table further away from the speakers so we can continue to chat and laugh out loud.  The music was great after confined to the music of our team bar back in our tiny island - this music is heaven! We ordered cuba libre and chat all night.  The bar was full, a lot of people were dancing, we were tempted to dance at some point it was easier to chat and laugh than to dance. It was 3am when we decided to walk back to the room, didnt know if we can still find it as we had more cuba libre than the last time we walk that way. Hmmm

Finally after all the asking and turn back and forth, we got to our room.

Tracey had a call while I slipped into the shower, by the time she got off the phone I was ready to bed.  When she was ready to bed, it was an a good idea to say goodnight! The words that followed keep us awake until 4am.  Another hour of chatting. perhaps we didnt have enough cuba libre!

huhuhu couldnt get a room anywhere!
Pranav happily cutting the piece o…
Pranav happily cutting the piece …
the cake meant for the face, thank…
the cake meant for the face, than…
Male Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Thai Wok! You can already guess what they serve in this restaurant from the name. Yes! Thai Food...shiuna, one of my colleague introduced me to this r… read entire review
Male