AsiaMaldivesMale

The Sunset of Maldives

Male Travel Blog

tiny island

Even two months after my arrival to the Maldives, I still love watching the sunset, everyday if I can.  The crystal clear water and stunning colours in the sky when the sun sets is an amazing view, I cant afford to miss. So many things to see, too less time to do.  Everyday is a surprise. And mind you living here feels like heaven on earth - and you will never get stuck in traffic! However, you have to love tuna - it's the favourite dish everyday....

I live in an island 700m x 14m, you can basically run from one end to the other within 10mins - actually its not even an island 15 years ago, it used to be a sand bank (so I was told),  now it is an exclusive luxury resort - one of the best in Maldives. It has great facilities and the beach is just divine, it has the largest lagoon (you can see the arial photo)! Although its a tiny piece of heaven, I live with 260 other people.

lazy indulgence
Its like a little lost tribe in the middle of the ocean.  The island is divided into 2 (front of house and back of house) front is where our guest roams around and back where we (the team) roam around, in the back area there is a mosque where majority of our staff prays (well, muslim staff - as Maldives is a 100% muslim country its a must to have it on site. There is a cricket pitch, table tennis, darts, a team bar (every saturday night and the drinks only costs USD1 regardless if its a beer or spirit! really cheap), additionally there is a football ground that is convertible into a volleyball ground and sometimes dancing area during team parties - which is by the way just in front of my room, so you can imagine how peaceful i am during team activities.
the boat
  There are 260 team members here, 4 staff share a room or 3 in a room which are provided with the basic necessities (cable TV, cupboards, A/C, bathrooms, etc).  If you are one of the managers or executive then you get room on your own with living & dining area and other extras (internet, DVD player, a living room with confy sofa, etc.).  In this small heaven - space really matter. We dont have the freedom to build much facilities for the staff so whatever we have we use it for different purposes. There is an indoor cinema with surround system (and mind you its bose speakers!). There is a team restaurant we call "Malafay" - in Maldivian - it means a big plate with a lot of food that families share their meals with.
sunset at the jetty
 Manoj, our Malafay chef from Sri Lanka is great! - He and his team prepares food for everyone everyday without fail.  His food is really good! And tuna - oh my god being here you have to look forward to the Tuna everyday as its always present in all the meals, whether its breakfast, lunch, dinner even snacks and midnight meals.  I dont know if its me, but I find it really weird that the locals are very creative with tuna, it seems that they have 1001 ways to cook and eat tuna!(as if its eggs!).

coldplay999 says:
Oh just a month to wait, then i would in this great place. thanks for sharing :)
Posted on: Jun 07, 2010
vodkaphix says:
Wow! My chin just hit the floor!! :D Heaven!!
Posted on: Apr 25, 2009
Ruby12 says:
beautiful maldives, one of my dream destination, you so lucky to be there! i envy u! :)
Posted on: Mar 05, 2009
cloudy afternoon
cloudy afternoon
Chef Manoj
Chef Manoj
lets play football
lets play football
Harold the Heron on top of the Vil…
Harold the Heron on top of the Vi…
greens