Setting off for the other Disney

Pittsburgh Travel Blog

underground tram

We met up at our parents’ house for an early dinner of pizza before being driven to the airport.  Proving how calm of a neighborhood they live in, Megan and Tommy left their suitcases sitting outside the garage for the whole meal.  Loading up didn’t take too long; Dad made sure each of us had photo ID and a credit card.  I asked if everyone had their running shoes.  Although shoes would be on sale at the expo, trying to run a half marathon in brand-new gear was not anyone’s idea of smart especially since this half marathon was only the lead-up to bigger races for all of us.

The drive to the airport and parking in the short-term parking garage went without a problem.  Mom and Dad walked us in and watched as we wound our way through security, the process taking less than twenty minutes even with my right hip getting patted down (apparently the body scanner couldn’t see through the material there?).  The three of us rode the underground tram to the main terminal and then found gate C53.  We sat for a bit and decided we wanted snacks.  We hauled our carry-ons back to the center of the terminal.  Tommy got a pretzel from Auntie Anne’s while Megan and I went to Ben and Jerry’s.  I definitely enjoyed my Greek yogurt raspberry fudge chunk.

Megan and Tommy were group three for boarding but I was not until group five.  They agreed to carry my red bag on for me and stash it on top.  I didn’t have trouble finding them in row 27 (or maybe it was 26) a little later.  The on-board movie was supposed to be After Earth according to the magazine guide.  I was not at all excited about this film flop.  However, instead we got to watch 42!  I was very pleased with this choice.  I did not grade any papers on the flight but did do some fun reading.  I was not at all impressed with United’s food service.

Pittsburgh