June 2009-Getting There

Baltimore Travel Blog

an evening take-off

This was a busy day.  I got up, worked on some packing and details around the townhouse before heading into work.  Our students had left on Friday but the teachers still had to come in and check out.  I spent the first few hours running around the building and getting items on my checklist marked off.  By 11:30 I was done but not allowed to leave.  So I killed time by checking my e-mail and working on job applications.  When I finally left my trailer, I had just enough time to run to the post office and grab a quick lunch at home before going to the dentist's office.  75 minutes, 4 X-rays, a thorough cleaning, and a clean bill of health later,  I hurried to the store for last minute supplies and a veggie tray for the staff party.  I hung out with faculty for about a half hour and then returned home to make final checks and wait for my ride.  Josh found the house without my help since I had left my cell phone in my car.

We stopped in Annapolis for a little bit of shopping since we were ahead of schedule.  Then at the airport he parked (free for the first half hour) and walked me in.  Now I have flown out of BWI quite a few times but always through A and B concourses.  I had no idea that to the left another hallway led to other concourses and a very cool waiting area.  If you ever get to the airport well in advance and there is no line to get through security, go down this hallway.  Here you will find a second level observation area where you can watch the planes.  There are also parts of a 747 on display.

As the half hour mark neared, I said good-bye to Josh and thanked him for the ride (aren't friends great?  although I'll be returning the favor in a few weeks when he heads over to Europe).  Then I zipped through security, grabbed a quick dinner, and waited only about 15 minutes before boarding began.

On the flight down I sat next to an older couple whose daughter graduated from my alma mater four years before me.  They were also heading to WDW although he would be attending a conference.  Upon landing I walked down to the Magical Express which left just after I got on.  Old Key West was the first stop (yay!).  I called my parents as we pulled in and my dad met me at the hospitality house.  Since it was around midnight, my parents and I only chatted for a little bit before heading to bed.

Baltimore