EPCOT and MK

Walt Disney World Travel Blog

Very exciting: we got to sleep in for an hour today since EPCOT was not an early opening park!  My family does not do Disney in a relaxing, sleep-a-lot manner so for me this was very nice.  At the park we once again managed to line up at the front, right behind a gate.  We then spent about a half hour chatting with the couple (from KY, I think) next to us.  They had brought their exchange student and her friend as a final adventure before she went back to Asia in two weeks.  We enjoyed the conversation and wished good days to each other as we moved through the turnstiles and rushed to...another rope.  I know that letting us in part way a little before opening and then holding us a bit farther in is good security but I still think there is a Disney exec somewhere laughing gleefully at all of us chomping at the bit ready to go.

Pluto greeting guests near Innoventions
  Having Pluto run over to greet us and singing "Happy Birthday" to a girl turning 13 helped pass the waiting time.

Once the rope was dropped, Disney employees escorted us to either the Land or the Living Seas pavillions.  Whenever someone tried to run around the outside edge of the group, they were called back.  While still a bit hectic, the escorting definitely cut down on chaos.  Our rundown of attractions at EPCOT:

• Soarin' (two times.  the first time we walked straight through the line, we actually met up with another guy we had been in line with earlier, he had already managed to grab a FastPass, prior to today's riding he had been on Soarin' 232 times!  the second time we went on the attraction we rode on the opposite side of the hanger and actually gained a different perspective)
  • Test Track (used single rider line to cut the wait time significantly)
  • Livin' with the Land (my parents had actually gone on this ride the day before when I was hanging out with Meg.
    bananas!
      the line was short though and they like seeing the greenhouses so we went on it!)
  • Journey Into Imagination (I still hold my breath during the Smell portion of this ride; they are redoing part of ImageWorks right now so I am interested in seeing what it will look like the next time I'm down)
  • Mexican Gran Fiesta (or whatever the ride in Mexico is called now...I also bought another Oaxacan woodcarving to add to my collection, a parrot this time, we saw a mariachi band as we left the pavillion)
  • wandered through the Italy area (no attractions here, just neat architecture)

We also visited the Coke Station and took the boat across the lagoon from Germany to Mexico.  We had breakfast at Livin' with the Land and a snack (which kind of became lunch) at Norway.

in Norway

Back at the resort, Mom did another load of laundry while Dad and I headed back to the pool.  Today they were playing Bingo at the pool's edge.  After seeing the table of prizes, I was tempted to join the action.  Relaxing in the cool water was just as good though.  We went down the slide two more times before noticing darker clouds moving in.  We decided to go down the twisting slide one last time; as we neared the top another mom came up looking for her boys since she had just received a weather report about 50 mph winds coming our way.  Dad and I came up with a plan: I go down the slide, find Mom, and send her to get the laundry.  Before I started down though, we noticed that Mom's lawnchair was empty, indicating she had already headed to the laundry.

the deluge
  Once I hit the water--still so much fun--I immediately hopped out of the pool and scurried to the laundry room.  The load still needed a few minutes in the washer so I told Mom to go ahead to the room; I would stay behind to switch the clothes over since I was already wet.  I hurried over to the chair to pull on my cover-up, turned to go back to the laundry, and saw Mom walking quickly our way.  She had gone ahead and moved the clothes to the dryer.  We moved fast, lightning was already cutting through the sky, thunder cracking overhead.  We made it back before the downpour but would spend the next two hours in the room, only leaving once during a short pause in the rain to retrieve our dry laundry.  While some downtime was nice for the first hour, the second hour was very boring.
"Stonehenge" says my dad
  TV in Disney is not good and we did not have any board or card games either.  (Next trip I'm throwing a deck of cards or DVD in my bag.)  This was also the time period when we realized we didn't really eat lunch so we snacked on Oreos, Pringles, and grapes.

Eventually the rain let up enough for us to venture back into the parks, more specifically the Magic Kingdom.  Before going through bag check and entering the MK, we hopped on the monorail for a circuit around the resorts first.  The ride gave me a chance to see a bit easier the new timeshares by the Contemporary.  I also realized how close the Polynesian and Grand Floridian are to each other.  After the loop, we entered the Magic Kingdom for the second time of my vacation.

Daisy watching guests run past at opening
  Here we enjoyed the following attractions:

• Splash Mountain (we already had our ponchos on so the water sloshing into the boat after the big drop?  No problem!)
  • Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse (a sentimental favorite for me, I love climbing around and exploring this home, they've changed the library just a little)
  • Pirates of the Caribbean (much shorter wait than last time, sign said 5 minutes, wait was really only as long as it takes to walk through the waiting area)
  • Haunted Mansion (this line was longer than last time, maybe because it was under shelter?  we went through the opposite stretch room this time)
  • Spectromagic (the light parade, we found a viewing area in Liberty Square)
  • Wishes (the fireworks, we moved into the plaza right in front of the castle for a great viewing location)

Dinner was at Pecos Bill's which has electronic ordering.

We also took time out of our touring to get my parents boarding passes for their Southwest flight the next day.  Guest relations can do this if you have your confirmation number and ID.  After the fireworks we swung into the Main Street Bakery for a late snack.  We timed this stop just right; the crowd grew noticeably as we sat down.  My parents enjoyed apple charlottes, I had a little chocolate bundt cake.  Great way to finish off the evening!

Pluto greeting guests near Innoven…
Pluto greeting guests near Innove…
Stonehenge says my dad
"Stonehenge" says my dad
Daisy watching guests run past at …
Daisy watching guests run past at…
waiting for Livin with the Land
outside the Living Seas
outside the Living Seas
queue area for Living Seas
queue area for Living Seas
just before boarding the clam mobi…
just before boarding the clam mob…
manatees!
close up of mariachis
close up of mariachis
afternoon downpour
afternoon downpour
Main Street through the castle arc…
Main Street through the castle ar…
the beginning of Wishes
the beginning of Wishes
Walt Disney World Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Scrumpcious Scandinavian Snacks
After narrowly escaping the wrath of trolls on the Maelstrom ride, the Kringla Bakeri Og Kafe provides a great spot to get a snack in the Norwegian pa… read entire review
A True Headliner Attraction
Originally a headliner at Disney California Adventure, Soarin's twin in Florida has become a superstar in its own right. Although the left side of Fu… read entire review
Flavors Around the World
When I was in junior high, one of my teachers ran an experiment where we were blindfolded and told to taste three different sodas: Pepsi, Coca-Cola, a… read entire review
For the Imagination
Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse is an old favorite of mine. No special effects, no superfast speeds, no show-stopping songs, just a treehouse that sp… read entire review
Greenhouse of the Future
When EPCOT opened in 1982, Living with the Land was the only ride in the Land pavillion and therefore often experienced looooong lines. (The only oth… read entire review