DCA

Anaheim Travel Blog

Since we had to wait for the packet pick up to open at 10:00 AM to get Megan, Tommy, and Janie’s park passes, we were able to take it easy this morning.  That did not really equal sleeping in though since the time difference prodded our bodies into wakefulness and Megan running into the bunk bed ladder finished the job.  We headed across the street for breakfast at IHOP (prices are noticeably higher in CA!).  I enjoyed my crepes topped with fruit and granola (could have done without the strawberry yogurt on top though).
We drove over to Downtown Disney parking (took a wrong turn on the way and also had to return to the room for me to pick up my e-ticket, oops).  Once there we started standing in the expo line but switched to packet pick-up once we realized that was exactly where the tickets were.

Megan, Tommy, and I could visit the expo later in the day after we had visited the park.  The line seemed really long but once the doors were opened at ten, it took maybe five minutes to go to the travel booth and pick up the tickets.  We retrieved Neal and walked through Downtown Disney, skirting past the barriers for the kids’ races.  Trading my e-ticket for a real ticket was painless and quick; Neal’s ancient Park Hopper took a bit longer.
We were surprised that the crowds were not huge.   The sign for Soarin’, our first ride claimed a 20-minute wait.  In reality, it was shorter.  Janie and Neal really liked this one.  After Soarin’ we headed to Paradise Pier and I got my first glimpse of the new Carsland.
  We got on California Screamin’ and I did scream as we zipped along the tracks.  The loop tossed me upside down for the first time this year.
From here we joined the line for Toy Story Midway Mania.  This queue has a very different feel from its Floridian cousin.  FL pushes the toy aspect of the ride while CA’s version maintains the more elegant feel of a boardwalk from decades ago.  I rode in my own car and managed to get my usual level of rabbit.  The ride paused a few times while we were in it; the game switched into a no-point mode but we could still practice aiming and shooting.
After this ride we ventured into Cars Land.  I seriously felt like I was walking down the main street of the movie.  I tried snapping photos of all the buildings (Mom had asked and the design was so neat).
  At the end of the street we turned right and headed into the single rider line for Radiator Springs Racers.  This line was all outdoors in the sun.  I had a pdf file on my Kindle that had some games to play while in line so I used it here for a little bit.  Even though the ride broke down for a couple minutes, we still got through to the loading platform in decent time.  This ride utilizes a number of the same concepts as GM Test Track in Florida but the scenery is completely different.  The tractor-tipping scene is cute.  My car unfortunately lost 
We paused for slushies from a vendor in Bug’s Land and then lined up for Tower of Terror where we had practically no wait before the pre-show.  The basement waiting area felt darker than the model in FL.
Paradise Pier
  I missed the elevator moving through the hallway but the drops were just as thrilling.  I loved looking out and into Disneyland from up high.
Janie and Neal headed out for lunch and a return to the hotel at this point.  Megan, Tommy, and I walked into the Disneyland Hotel complex to check out the expo.  We didn’t stay here very long since we did not find the set-up very impressive.
By the pool area we discovered a Pacific-themed eatery and had lunch/dinner.  I enjoyed my salmon, rice, and grapes.  We sat inside in the air-conditioning by a large window that overlooked the swimming area.
On our way back to the hotel, we detoured into DCA again.  I wanted to ride the Monsters Inc. attraction.  I am glad the line was short; I was not impressed.
We relaxed the rest of the afternoon and evening.  Megan, Tommy, and I made it down to the small pool where a gaggle of Girl Scouts (or maybe even Brownies) were playing “Katy…Perry” known in my youth as “Marco Polo.”  After a while we retreated to the hot tub.
Bedtime came early around 8:00 although my body thought it was closer to 11 thanks to the time change.

California Screamin
California Screamin'
Mr. Potato Head
Mr. Potato Head
Neal and his 3-D glasses
Neal and his 3-D glasses
Tommy attempting to shoot me befor…
Tommy attempting to shoot me befo…
Flos Café sign
Mike, barely had time to get a shot
Mike, barely had time to get a shot
Anaheim Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Poolside Eatery
This is a counter-service restaurant. You order at a touch screen and then pay at the register. Your meal is brought to your table once it is ready.… read entire review
Anaheim