jakarta get away

Jakarta Travel Blog

early morning smug of jakarta

After weeks of thinking where I will be on my birthday this year! didnt know it would be Indonesia of all places. I was planning for a long time to be in Hongkong just in time for the Disneyland to open but then, it remained a plan.  At that time, my boyfriend went on business trip to Indonesia so I had no choice but it seems that I will be stuck in the hotel drinking champagne for my birthday this year.

Arrived Indonesia around 4pm, the weather wasnt promising, thick clouds covered the sky that it looked as if it was already evening.  Came out of the airport very quick, its great to travel light at least you dont get stuck at the luggage counter waiting for your bags. As soon as I was out I looked around at the hotel counters just outside the airport.

Breakfast at Four Seasons
  There were too many airport representatives, dont know which ones to go to. I stood there for a while couldnt decide, then everyone started talking to me in their language. Hmm..they thought I am Indonesian. Hehehe... I guess people would mistake me for anything! I was lost for words for a while didnt know how to tell them Im not Indonesian. At a point I didnt want to make them think I am a tourist as I dont want them to overprice me with the rate.  So, I just smiled and looked around for the hotel were I am heading to.  Then, an older man, well mature man came to me and asked (in English) where I was heading.  I told him that I am going to the Four Seasons Hotel. He looked at me and wonder for a while.  Then he asked me if I have an address.
the balcony over looking the city
  I didnt know Four Seasons in Jakarta is a difficult find???? I wondered with him and smiled and  said I dont have.

So, he told me to get in the car and he said he will find it. At first I was thinking he is just trying to play dumb so he can overprice me.  Before I got into the car, I bargain for a price. He didnt know how much to quote me so, he rang someone and they spoke for about 2mins and told me I have to pay 15USD.  Being so used to Vietnamese Dong that converts hundreds of thoudands with the amount he quoted made me think he was overpricing. I hesitated for a while and then he said normally he charge 20USD and for me he will charge 15.

the naked man with a torch
Hmmm..my suspicious mind went soaring high! I pretended to think for a decision and hesitated more.  There were other cars and other people waiting in cue what seems to be a very congested road.  So, finally he told me 12USD. Upon hearing this, I just throw my luggage in the car and sat comfortably in the back seat.

When we got away from the airport highway, the traffic was bumper to bumper as we were nearing the centre of the city.  The driver was very kind, he was basically telling me stories about Jakarta, was like an orientation about the place wrapped up in a taxi.  After 2 hours stuck in traffic my boyfriend was really worried. He began to rang me. When I arrived the hotel it was almost 8pm. Traffic in Jakarta was horrible! My boyfriend was dying of hunger waiting for me for 3 hours at the lobby.  When I got out of the taxi I asked the concierge right away why everyone doesnt know where Four Seasons is.  He smiled and told me it used to be the Regent Hotel.  So, people know it as Regent and not Four Seasons...Aha! there you go.