"Where the West Begins"

Fort Worth Travel Blog

Dad and I - Dublin Square
While I have been lucky to travel to many places and play tourist, it was fun being able to be the tour guide of my new home town. When Dad and Mrs. Faye came to visit the city “Where the West Begins” for his birthday weekend we were graced with beautiful weather to enjoy F.W. at its best.

Friday - We started the weekend with a venture east to Dallas to see the famed Grassy Knoll at Dealey Plaza. A short walk around the grounds looking up at the 6th floor of the Texas School Book Depository where Oswald shot John F. Kennedy is as fascinating as it is eerie. Like most moron tourist I had to run to the middle of the road to get my picture take on the X where JFK was hit.
Mrs. Faye and I - Dublin Square
While Dallas is a relatively young city, this plaza across from city hall will forever be etched into the monumental moments in our country’s history.

After visiting the city’s historic landmark it seemed fitting to have lunch at one of the city’s other landmarks, Campisi’s. This family owned establishment (mafia family that is) offers a relaxed Italian setting with great food and a touch of Godfather nostalgia.

Saturday- With the Texas State Fair in full swing getting revved up for the Texas/Oklahoma shootout at the Cotton Bowl, it was best that we kept to the west side of the metroplex. Just a few minutes from downtown we started our late morning in the historic Fort Worth Stockyards to see the longhorn steers marched through the brick streets.
Mrs. Faye and I - Fort Worth Stockyards
Thanks to Billy Bob’s (the largest honky tonk in TX), The Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame, The Stockyards Hotel (opened in 1907), The White Elephant Saloon (opened in late 1800’s), along with other various saloons and steakhouses this area goes a long way to make you feel the heart of Texas. The Stockyards also joins the ranks of other great areas with open container laws such as; New Orleans and the Las Vegas strip.

Again we’re off to a landmark establishment for lunch, Joe T. Garcia’s. Family owned since 1935, Joe T’s originally seated only 16 guests but has since expanded to host over 1,000 throughout its beautiful patios, courtyards and banquet rooms. While this building has dramatically expanded, the atmosphere has remained quaint and relaxing offering terrific Mexican dishes and killer strawberry margaritas.
Fort Worth Stockyards

To recover from our filling lunch we made the short journey into downtown Fort Worth and Sundance Square. The pedestrian friendly area helps us walk off the fajitas while window shopping and ultimately continuing the margarita tour. We stop off at Mi Cocina for their signature Mambo Limousine and Mambo Taxi margaritas. While it’s a shame that they cut you off after only 2 of these delicious summer drinks you figure out why when you stand up to continue on your downtown tour. Noticing Flying Saucer‘s annual Fall Beer Festival going on, we zigzag down the sidewalk to taste a couple of their several hundred brews on tap. From our table on the 2nd floor patio under the warm sun and a few good beers in hand, we overlook Sundance Square and the cute “Beer Goddesses” in short plaid skirts.

Sunday �" Another great day of weather brings us to the also window shopping friendly, Southlake Town Square. Southlake’s upscale outdoor shopping mall offers everything you want in shopping and café dinning while also allowing you to get a little fresh air in-between shops.
After three days of sight seeing, walking, and Texas sized meals a relaxing night was much needed. The Movie Tavern was the perfect option for the evening. Though I was forced to sit through a Richard Gere chick flick, the nachos and beer brought right to my seat helped the pain of sappy writing.
Mrs. Faye and I - Dublin Square
Mrs. Faye and I - Fort Worth Stock…
Mrs. Faye and I - Fort Worth Stoc…
Mrs. Faye and I - Joe T Garcias
Mrs. Faye and I - Joe T Garcia's
Dad and Mrs. Faye - Joe T Garcias
Dad and Mrs. Faye - Joe T Garcia's
Mambo Limousine...a tasty killer. …
Mambo Limousine...a tasty killer.…
Bass Hall
Bass Hall
Fort Worth Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
The Mexican Restaurant in Fort Worth, TX
Joe T. Garcia’s. 16 guests but has since expanded to host over 1,000 throughout its beautiful patios, courtyards and banquet rooms. While this build… read entire review