A new place with an old friend

Puerto Rico Travel Blog

Josh, Pete and I
After a horrible flight experience with delay after delay, we finally made it to Puerto Rico over six hours late. Normally I would have stayed pissed off the entire night but the beach was amazing. After a traditional Puerto Rican dinner and quite a few drinks we headed to the beach for a swim and some Cuban cigars. The two surprises of the trip were that Cuban cigars are legal in PR even though it is a US territory and how good the food was. The weather was also perfect, warm enough to swim at night but not too hot during the day either. After spending most of the day hanging out on the beach Josh, Pete, and I headed to Old San Juan to walk around. This is definitely a much more historic area of town opposed to San Juan’s new hotels and shops.
Pete at the Bacardi distillery
The streets were narrow cutting through the hills of the city lined with small shops and some nice cafes. That night after a great dinner we decided to check out the nightlife. At first we were a little put off that it was like going through airport security to go into any bar and that at 11:30 they were pretty dead as well. It didn’t take long to see the Puerto Rican nightlife starts after midnight and showed no signs of slowing down when we called it a night at 4am. Our last day in PR was just a chill day on the beach with a couple hours set aside to take the Bacardi rum distillery tour. Though this tour was not the most in-depth or behind the scenes look at Bacardi it was free and you got 2 free drinks at the end. Other than a little sunburn and flight problems getting there, Puerto Rico was a great place to kick back for a weekend. The locals are very friendly, the food and drinks are terrific, the weather was absolutely perfect, and you can even drink the water.