Washington, D.C. & Baltimore, MD

Baltimore Travel Blog

Diana and I
I left D.C. with mixed feelings about the city from my brief visit. While being around Capital Hill and Georgetown was really neat and a terrific experience, much of the city was pretty sketchy. One thing that remained consistent regardless of what area I was in, the traffic made me want to commit vehicular homicide. I’m sure if you knew the area better and were could use the Metro to get around it would have been much better, but D.C. is certainly not a tourist friendly city. On the other hand, the evening I met up with Diana to go into Baltimore was much more laid back. The Harbor Place area around the aquarium downtown was very easy to get around and perfect for a city that enjoys being outdoors.
People of all ages strolled and jogged the streets along the harbor. Though the Harbor Place is filled with shops and restaurants, all of the restaurants were the normal big city chain restaurants. Baltimore has many unique restaurants and pubs but it is a shame none are center stage at Harbor Place. Diana and I also took in an Orioles game which was a great time. Camden Yards is a fan friendly ball park with an open environment. Also, it was easy to sneak up into better seats for this weekday game. Shortly after moving up to these seats, a foul ball came right for us which I was able to catch. Though its just small thing, catching a baseball at a game is one of the greatest things a sports fan can experience. While basketball and football are faster paced, baseball can make you feel like part of the game with one lucky placed fly ball in your section.
Orioles vs Blue Jays
To complete my trip to the D.C. area I am taking the train up to Manhattan to visit my sister. This is much different way to travel than we have in the South. While it seems a little old timey, the train ride is much more relaxing than flying with a lot less hassle.

On all of my trips so far I have left with at least one good dinning experience to recommend to others, the streak has ended. Since I only made it one of the nights I was in D.C., the 50% chance didn’t work out. Diana and I went to Old Glory Bar-B-Q in Georgetown after about an hour of driving around looking for a neat place to grab an appetizer and a beer. While this place could have been a neat joint, the service on this particular night was horrible.