Tucson, AZ

Tucson Travel Blog

City Hall
The first thing I noticed when driving around looking for a place to eat in Tucson on the rainy Sept. 12th night is I’ve never seen a town so dark at 7pm. Due to the numerous astronomy observatories in the area there is a strict low light ordinance for the town. So it looks as though everything is closed. Also I noticed that there is no drainage system downtown. Though it probably rained maybe an inch, the streets were almost flooded. However, the second day in Tucson showed the towns beauty. With great weather, dry roads, and a great view of the mountains from anywhere you were in the flat downtown area. In my time there I was able to learn my way around downtown, which is easy to navigate thanks to the mountains providing a base for direction.
Also I found there are tons of great local restaurants and bars. Thursday night was a lot of fun after I returned from my brief trip to Mexico. I found a local brewery/grille right next to University of Arizona that reminded me much of Barley’s in the Old City. However, Gentle Ben’s Brewery provided a gentle tab serving 2 for 1 drafts of their own brews till midnight. On my way from there to O’Malley’s Pub, which served 2 for 1 shots all night, I came across a Hookah Lounge. I was confused as to how people can sit on the street smoking out of the huge bongs until I sat down and tried a little. Unfortunately it wasn't pot but flavored tobacco. The strawberry wasn’t that good but the cherry and mint weren't’t too bad.

All in all, Tucson was a blast. Featuring a different culture and architecture, great weather, terrific food, and a happening night life. My only warning; pack bug spray. At night the Sonora Desert mosquitoes are out in full force. They’re tiny little buggers but they make repeat trips.
locals at OMalleys
locals at O'Malleys
Hookah locals
Hookah locals
Tucson Nightlife & Entertainment review
sports bar, irish pub, college hang out
Looking for a rowdy night in Tucson? O'Malley's on Fourth is a must. Great TV set up with all kinds of sports action; pool tables, a back patio, and g… read entire review
1,885 km (1,171 miles) traveled