Vintage cars and the largest mobile phone in the world

Birdwood Travel Blog

Luckily, after the rather crummy bunyip, I had a brainwave and remembered the Big Rockinghorse. Surely that childhood experience would live up to adult revisiting! We called Dad (I couldn't remember where it was) and found out we just had to drive from Murray Bridge up towards Pallamana and Palmer, then turn off away from Mt Pleasant, through Birdwood and it would be waiting for us there at Gumeracha. What was an extra 50 km after the 2000 we had driven in the past three days?

Oh, and on the way we stopped at the National Motor Museum in Birdwood, which had a whole lot of vintage cars and a really patronising "Shades of Green" exhibit which said that maybe global warming was occuring and some people said it might be anthropogenic and that if on the odd chance it was then motor vehicles would only play a minor part of it, and besides alternative cars sucked. I was pretty impressed to see the original Leyland Brothers truck, in which Mike, Mal and Laraine (with dogs) drove around Australia in "Ask the Leyland Brothers". Lydia was more impressed by the largest mobile phone in the world, which was a car built by Telecom for the Brisbane World Fair in 1988 and which actually functioned as a mobile phone.
shirlan says:
Did you see the rock formation on the road between Murray Bridge and Palmer. It looks like a Polar Bear. On the 20th December it was painted white although sometimes it has spots or is painted different colours. There is also a smaller formation that I think looks like an elephant and someone has painted it so that it stands out too.
Posted on: Dec 30, 2008