I have more friends in San Francisco than Los Angeles!

San Francisco Travel Blog

Best buds forever!
I love going to San Francisco. Almost all the men in my life are there, or were there at one time. When I visit, I get to visit with Kieran, Dan, Charles, and I used to visit with Paul. Each one would keep me for a day at a time, and they'd hand me off like a precious antique that needed constant attention. What a wonderful life it would have been for me if I had moved there instead of Los Angeles, where the girls are beautiful and there's a 3:1 ratio of women to men. Bah..

So.. my story about breaking into Venture Capital goes like this...

After my recruiting days (and I do mean days.
Charles!
..) I realized that a lot of money that went into startups (my specialty) came from Venture Capitalists. Unfortunately, the closest thing we come to VCs in Los Angeles are Angel groups. Individual high net worth people who still love to know what's at the forefront of technology, biomed, real estate, pharmaceuticals, and they want to invest their own money for a more substantial return, and perhaps even guide the companies a bit on their path to better decision making.

So I joined this group called Keiretsu Forum. Really pristine stuff, and extremely intimidating. But man, what a mistake. The Los Angeles chapter was headed by this husband and wife team who were wealthy, but didn't really seem wealthy except for their big house and huge Range Rover, which was needed because the husband was humongous.
They seemed nice at first, but they're the type to pick and pick and pick until you're so frustrated you want to quit. So eventually I did, because after working for them for 3 months at close to 11 hours a day as an operations person, an event coordinator, a personal assistant, and not getting overtime for any of this work, I deperately needed a sick day. I ended up going out that night for dinner or something, and I get these frantic calls on my cell, my home phone, with the wife saying "If I find out that you went out tonight, Jennifer, I'm going to be really disappointed." and hung up. WOAH. If I can't even have peace on a sick day, fuhgedaboudit!

But after recuperating from this experience, I felt the need to punish myself some more in the highly emotional, erratic Venture Capital World =) So I flew to San Francisco to interview with a couple of VC's and recruiters (on my own dime) as it really is the place to be if you want to work in this industry.
At Bubba Gumps!
I was quickly passing all the interviews at one particular Asian VC called WI Harper located in the beautiful financial district of SF. But when I met the president, he took one look at me and said "You're a business development person, not an executive assistant. I'll call you if I have a business development position that opens up." And I was shooed out the door. I went downstairs and CRIED my eyes out.

It's such a blessing that I went through al these crazy trials and tribulations when I was younger, as I was a lot more resilient and able to bounce back from these funky schemes and questionable business practices a lot easier. I used to think that Venture Capital and Angel groups were so cutting edge and glamorous. Now I know it's not an iota different from the dog eat dog world we're all a part of. I think God took pity on me and put me in a really stable, challenging and great company after all that where I recuperated rather nicely. I remember when 6 months passed at my current job and I thought "woah, I made it!" as I was really starting to wonder if I could keep a job longer than 3 months! I'm almost at my 2 year mark at my company, and I really do love every minute of it. =)

But if anyone wants to know about the angel investment/VC world, feel free to ask, because I have quite an interesting insiders view of it all. =)
AndiPerullo says:
Way to be tenacious darling! You've lead quite an interesting life...
Posted on: Oct 21, 2007
At Bubba Gumps!
Theyre not legos, my dear..
They're not legos, my dear..
View from Dans house