T-minus 1 day: Stage 2 packing

San Carlos Travel Blog

Ok it's 20 minutes before "T-minus 1 day" but I'll start this entry anyway.

I'm getting nervous about refining my inventory, completing my 100+ item to-do list, and spending final time with friends.

We'll see what I can tackle on my last full day in town.

I appreciate some of the feedback I've gotten on my inventory at Stage 1.  Amazingly, the comments have been "Wow, you're bringing too much".  Ok, I will scale back.  I mean, shoot, I could wear a single t-shirt for a month straight, I suppose.  I may not make many friends, but what the hell, I like the friends I have already.  :-)

Update from later in Day:

After a glass of wine to loosen up, I went through my inventory and removed my poncho, 3 shirts, and my swim suit.

I decided my gore-tex shell and backpack cover would be enough to shield me in a rainstorm - the poncho could be used as make-shift emergency shelter in the unlikely event I got lost in Patagonia - but after watching countless episodes of Survivorman and Man Vs. Wild, I know how to make a shelter out of branches, leaves, vines, rocks, etc.  (Thanks Les and Bear!).

I decided my swim suit is really only needed for the last few weeks of my trip, and I could either swim in my workout shorts or in my zip off pants - or I just buy a cheapo Brazilian suit.  Hope it's not speedo's only down there though.   They must sell board shorts, too.

And the shirts - I removed 2 t-shirts and my "going out" shirt.  The latter again would be used only at the tail end of my trip - not worth carrying for the first month.  I'll just buy something later in Buenos Aires or Rio.

Although small adjustments, these changes offered up some space in my pack.  I feel better about it.

I estimate, too, that about 25% of my gear is completely disposable - I can ditch certain items mid-route to free up more space as needed.  Throw out the t-shirts and  my shower thongs (hell, a little fungus never hurt anyone),  give my emergency repair kit to the next backpacker I befriend, burn my guide book, sell my climbing rope, etc.

San Carlos