Shop Til You Drop

Buenos Aires Travel Blog

We walked through some kind of wierd ghetto mall - in the middle of ritzy Recoleta - that specialized in tatoo and piercing shops. We didn´t buy anything.

Today again we did our own thing for a few hours in the morning, which meant Adam worked out of our living room and I hit Starbucks and the local internet cafe.

We met back at the apartment in mid-afternoon and took the subway to Recoleta where we shopped around some of the high-end stores.  Leather jackets, polo boots, jeans, bags, etc.  We also walked through a really interest mall which only had tatoo and piercing shops.  Boy did we feel out of place, walking around as clean cut gringos in our cargo pants and fancy tennis shoes.  Everyone else was completely tatted out.

We also visited the famous Recoleta cemetery - famous for its general beauty and huge tombs, as well as for being the site of Eva Peron´s grave.  I thought the cemetery in Punta Arenas that I visited earlier in my trip was perhaps more interesting - it seemed to be better maintained, more "personal" (with trinkets, etc left at the sites), and more green with shrubbery and grass.

At Evita´s gravesite.

By late afternoon, we were ready for a beer, so we enjoyed another beer at the Bully Pub, while trying to dodge the crazy aggressive pigeons.  Reminded me of the Alfred Hitchcock movie The Birds.

Later, back at the apartment, no key problems - so that was good.  We showered and hit Palermo for dinner - this time going to a Parilla that was recommended by the owner of our apartment.  El 22 was the name, and we soon found out unfortunately that grissly steak, undercooked provoleta, bland salad, and warm red wine was it´s game.  Too bad.

The meal, by the way, has become our sort of standard order - so we can easily compare and contrast.  We vary the cuts of beef.  Here we ordered the estrana - or flank steak.  And the salad, well, I had to go back into the kitchen and select the ingredients by hand because I didn´t understand all the words of the vegetables in Spanish.

Plaque honoring her.
  We ended up with lettuce, tomato, and carrots.  But nothing was that good.  Perhaps we were spoiled by that first night here at La Cabrera.  Tonight´s meal was only 110 pesos for the both of us - about half of what comparable meals have been at other places.  The discount just wasn´t worth it.  (Luckily, earlier today I made reservations at La Cabrera for our final dinner here in Buenos Aires together, on Thursday evening.)

Later that night, we strolled the streets looking for a happening bar or club.  The streets were once again filled with people drinking and dining at outdoor patios.  But not for long, as around 12am it started raining.

General view of Recoleta cemetery.
  People rushed inside.  Luckily, Adam and I had already pre-empted this move since as we were walking we had felt a few drops, and quickly ducked into Cronicos bar.  We grabbed a table ahead of the crowd.  But we lost steam again around 1:30am and headed home.  It was a Tuesday night, after all.  (Of course, by Argentina standards that´s not early at all...that´s about when you GO to the bars!  Even on a Tuesday!)

We walked through some kind of wie…
We walked through some kind of wi…
General view of Recoleta cemetery.
One of many corridors, bordered by…
One of many corridors, bordered b…