The Last Supper, Really

Panama City Travel Blog

I didn't do a whole lot today.

I slept in, for once, which felt really good - although I was still feeling the beers from last night.  I even ordered room service.  Wow, huh.  A far cry from the hostels I was staying at 50 days ago!

During the day, I hung out with my friend Dayana, just sharing pictures and stories from my trip.  She had to work that night - she works at a new (or relatively new) casino in town.

In the evening, Bruce picked me up and, after a little bit of debate, we headed to the Greenhouse for dinner - a restaurant on Via Argentina, which is a very pleasant street in Panama with shops, restaurants, parks, etc.  The cuisine at Greenhouse, ironically, was sort of a Panama-style California-cuisine.  Bruce had a smoked salmon wrap.  And I had grilled salmon with patacones and steamed vegetables.  (Panama version of steamed vegetables is to cook and salt the hell out of them.)

It was kind of a wierd choice for what was "technically" my last supper - but after weeks of eating red meat, I needed some fish.  I still consider my meal at La Cabrera in Buenos Aires to be my final farewell feast.   And believe it or not, the salmon was damn good.

After dinner, we walked down to El Pavo Real for a beer.  El Pavo Real is an old school local's bar with a great patio right on Via Argentina.  Apparently this bar was originally located in an old house near the Marriott Hotel, but within the last 5 or 10 years was moved to its current location.  The old venue sounded like it had a lot of character - but what the new venue lacks in character, it makes up for in location.

We debated again about our options for the next beer.  Bohio Allegre - a big blue-collar beer garden type place?  La Terraza - can't argue with the $1.25 beers?  Sahara - a bar down on happening Calle Uruguay where I spent a lot of time during my last trip to Panama?  Gorilla Bar - karaoke bar on Via Argentina?  Sappore - another local's place, on Via Espana, with loud DJ or band music and sometime special shows?

After a two beer discussion, we ended up with a plan of attack by 10:30pm - still early, but also I couldn't make it a big night since I had a lot of flying to do tomorrow.

We drove by Gorilla and peaked in - pretty slow.  We drove by Sappore - even slower.  We drove by La Terraza - no parking....but hell, $1.25 again!  On the second pass, we found parking.  So La Terraza is where we spent the remaining part of the evening, with a peak into neighboring Habano's.

By around midnight, though, I was done.  I had a 5:30am wakeup, so I headed back to Hotel Marbella.

Sabbatical is really over now - tomorrow I head to California.  I can't believe it.

Panama City