Boat Trip Down Coast of Chile

Puerto Natales Travel Blog

The bow.

I will try to come back later tonight to do a more thorough update here.  Maybe even post some pictures.  (It's actually Nov 27 right now)  But I wanted to get something down in the blog about this amazing maritime experience....a 4-day boat trip down the coast of Chile, weaving our way through the many canals, while avoiding rocks, islands, glaciers, and yes even icebergs!

The trip was aboard a cargo freighter, a few floors (or "decks", i guess in ship-speak) of which had been converted to carry people, not cargo.

The voyage began with an information meeting about safety, route, schedule, etc.   We had fixed-menu meals in a large cafeteria, we slept in "cozy" 4-bunk cabins, and could hang out on three of the decks (including the bridge with the captain!).  We were not allowed in the cargo holds or the engine room.  There was even a "pub" on board - basically a large room with comfy chairs, small bar, and stereo system.

Ok I have to run to dinner, but will try to do an update later.  Basically, though, for 4 days, we hung out and enjoyed the breathtaking scenery (despite the misty, cloudy weather), played cards, drank beer and wine and pisco sour, and shared travel plans (past, present, future).

The bow.
The stern.  And some of our cargo.
The stern. And some of our cargo.
The bridge.
The bridge.
More of our cargo.
More of our cargo.
My shower slippers - thanks to Sta…
My shower slippers - thanks to St…
Puerto Natales