T-minus 4 days: Background of Trip

San Carlos Travel Blog

I leave in 4 days.

Two months travelling through South America - half the time I'll be completely alone.

Am I really going?  Am I really ready?

Only time will tell.

I've literally been planning (and re-planning) this trip for two years.  I earned the time off through our company's Sabbatical Program - after 7 years of service, employees receive a one-time "splash" of 7 extra weeks paid vacation.  I earned my Sabbatical in 2007 and had planned to take this trip in the Winter of 2007.  Unfortunately, due to circumstances at work, I had to cancel the trip.   A year of planning down the tubes.  A dream put on hold.

This year, timing is again not ideal from a work standpoint.  But as they say, it never will be the ideal time to go from a work standpoint.  So I've decided to go.   The weather is good this time of year.  I turn 40 in 2009 and it will be great to have this trip under my belt and out of my system.  I will finally be able to get that dog I've been wanting...

I'm thankful to everyone who has had a part in making this trip possible -- family, friends, co-workers, and even the faceless names on the internet who have helped advise me.  Now, if only the economy were cooperating a bit more...

Despite all my planning, the perfectionist in me wishes I had more time to prepare - to practice my Spanish, to get in better "backpacking" shape, to fine-tune my itinerary and logistics, to coordinate with people traveling similar routes, etc.

Regardless, the countdown starts... I'm going.

tvillingmarit says:
Have fun.
Posted on: Jan 18, 2009
LuckyMonkey says:
Glad to hear you are doing it!!! Awesome.
Posted on: Jan 04, 2009