OMG WE ARE DRIVING IN A BLIZZARD.....IN ARIZONA!!!!!

Flagstaff Travel Blog

OMG SNOW IN AZ!!!!!

RAIN + SEDONA = SNOW IN FLAGSTAFF

OMG I should have put 2 and 2 together.  Brett and I both said, once we saw rain in Sedona it would snow in flagstaff. We were driving up to 8,000ft that is snow level. We drove up further and then WHOA I saw snow flurries. Erin says “ITS SNOWING!!!!”

Melissa was more excited than us. She said she has not seen snow since she was 5. OMG hard to believe but ok.  I have not seen snow fall since 2004 in Vegas…YES VEGAS.  I pulled over where it was safe and we took photos and we took videos as well. Melissa is so cute she was like a kid in a candy store.
IN SNOW
she was acting like she was 5 again.  We was not that cold yet.

Although I needed to get back to the road, I wanted to drive in daylight as much as I can. we all knew it was going to be worst ahead of us.  we were freaking cold too.  I can’t believe I had to turn on the heater. Erin was saying that we experienced all 4 seasons in one day. You don’t always get to say that.

OMG shortly thereafter, we were in a snow blizzard YES A BLIZZARD IN ARIZONA!!!  People don’t know that AZ has mountains where you can ski and snowboard.  Same in Hawaii, in the big island on the mountain of Mauna Loa there is snow and you can go up to snowboard.  Brett and Erin was freaking out in the back seat because they have driven in a blizzard before.  This is my first time driving in a blizzard and what am experiencing is efffing COOL!!!!

I was driving behind an 18th wheeler to pave the road for me.
ME AND SNOW!!!!
I was driving as far as I can. I was driving 40mph and I was taking photos in the same time. They were all yelling at me not to do that.  I asked Melissa to take photos for me and I asked Erin to call my friend Marty for me to give us the weather report.  I was driving about 30 miles until we noticed the elevation was dropping the snow was calmer.

We all decided to exit to take photos of the snow. New fallen snow is so beautiful, clean, and untouched, I am so lucky we did not need chains or we would be stuck in AZ. We exited and I found a gas station in case anybody wanted snacks or what not. I left the car running.

OMG my socks are wet and it was effing cold. Poor Brett was wearing shorts. He stayed in the car. He is from the east coast. He has lived this all his life. We are CALI GIRLS, this is exciting for us.
ME :)
Brett was our camera bitch.  “BRETT TAKE OUR PHOTOS HERE” BRETT ONLY US GIRLS” “BRETT OVER HERE” “BRETT DO ANOTHER ONE” poor Brett and I he knows how picky I am too. I took plenty of scenery shots.

The best is when us girls had a mock snow ball fight and erin and Melissa all ganged up on me to throw the snowballs at me but, Erin ended up throwing at Melissa only cuz she slipped HAHAHAHAHA. While erin was not looking, I put a HUGE snowball down her back and she jumping like A MEXICAN JUMPING BEAN. I wish I get that on video.  Melissa and I were laughing our asses off HAHAHAHHAHA. My fingers were so frozen, that I stuck my hand on the heater vent full blast. It was about 6pm, we took our last photos and we wanted to grab something to eat before Vegas.  I turned around to Melissa and asked, “IS THE PRINCESS A HAPPY CAMPER?!!?!?  Yes she was….
MELISSA

MORE TO ADD AS I REMEMBER AND MORE FROM ERIN’S BLOG AND BRETT’S BLOG.

HISTORY OF FLAGSTAFF

Flagstaff is a city located in northern Arizona, in the southwestern United States. In July 2006, the city's estimated population was 58,213.
SNOW ON MY HAND
The population of the Metropolitan Statistical Area was estimated at 127,450 in 2007. It is the county seat of Coconino County. In 2005, Men's Journal named Flagstaff as No. 2 on its Best Places to Live list, and National Geographic cited the city in its list of "10 Great Towns That Will Make You Feel Young". The city is named after a Ponderosa Pine flagpole made by a scouting party from Boston (known as the "Flagstaff Tea Party") to celebrate the United States Centennial on July 4, 1876.

Flagstaff lies near the southwestern edge of the Colorado Plateau, along the western side of the largest contiguous Ponderosa Pine forest in the continental United States. Flagstaff is located adjacent to Mount Elden, just south of the San Francisco Peaks, the highest mountain range in the state of Arizona.
EEEK
Humphreys Peak, the highest point in Arizona at 12,633 feet (3,850 m), is located about 10 miles (16 km) north of Flagstaff in Kachina Peaks Wilderness.

Flagstaff's early economy was based on the lumber, railroad, and ranching industries. Today, the city remains an important distribution hub for companies such as Nestlé Purina PetCare and Walgreens, and is home to Lowell Observatory and Northern Arizona University. Flagstaff has a strong tourism sector, due to its proximity to Grand Canyon National Park, Oak Creek Canyon, and historic Route 66. The city is also home to medical device manufacturing, including such companies as W. L. Gore and Associates, and Machine Solutions.
WINTER WONDERLAND

In 1855, Lieutenant Edward Fitzgerald Beale surveyed a road from the Rio Grande in New Mexico to Fort Tejon in California, and camped near the current location of Flagstaff. The lieutenant had his men cut the limbs from a straight Ponderosa Pine tree in order to fly the United States flag.

The first permanent settlement was in 1876, when Thomas F. McMillan built a cabin at the base of Mars Hill on the west side of town. During the 1880s, Flagstaff began to grow, opening its first post office and attracting the railroad industry. The early economy was based on timber, sheep, and cattle. By 1886, Flagstaff was the largest city on the railroad line between Albuquerque and the west coast of the United States.

In 1894, Massachusetts astronomer Percival Lowell hired A.
THIS IS AZ?!!??!
E. Douglass to scout an ideal site for a new observatory. Douglass, impressed by Flagstaff's elevation, named it as an ideal location for the now famous Lowell Observatory, saying: "other things being equal, the higher we can get the better". Two years later, the specially-designed 24-inch (610 mm) Clark telescope that Lowell had ordered was installed. In 1930, Pluto was discovered using one of the observatory’s telescopes. During the Apollo program in the 1960s, the Clark Telescope was used to map the moon for the lunar expeditions, enabling the mission planners to choose a safe landing site for the lunar modules.In homage to the city's importance in the field of astronomy, asteroid 2118 Flagstaff is named for the city, and 6582 Flagsymphony for the Flagstaff Symphony Orchestra.

The Northern Arizona Normal School was established in 1899, renamed Northern Arizona University in 1966.
PRETTY
Flagstaff's cultural history received a significant boost on April 11, 1899, when the Flagstaff Symphony made its concert debut at Babbitt's Opera House. The orchestra continues today as the Flagstaff Symphony Orchestra, with its primary venue at the Ardrey Auditorium on the campus of Northern Arizona University.

The city grew rapidly, primarily attributable to its location along the east-west transcontinental railroad line in the United States. In the 1880s, the railroads purchased land in the west from the federal government, which was then sold to individuals to help finance the railroad projects. By the 1890s, Flagstaff found itself located along one of the busiest railroad corridors in the U.S., with 80-100 trains travelling through the city every day, destined for Chicago, Los Angeles, and elsewhere.
BEAUTIFUL

Route 66 was completed in 1926 and ran through Flagstaff. Flagstaff was incorporated as a city in 1928, and in 1929, the city's first motel, the Motel Du Beau, was built at the intersection of Beaver Street and Phoenix Avenue. The Daily Sun described the motel as "a hotel with garages for the better class of motorists." The units originally rented for $2.50 to $5.00 each, with baths, toilets, double beds, carpets, and furniture. Flagstaff went on to become a popular tourist stop along Route 66, particularly due to its proximity to the Grand Canyon.

Flagstaff grew and prospered through the 1960s. During the 1970s and 1980s, however, many businesses started to move from the city center, and the downtown area entered an economic and social decline. Sears and J.C. Penney left the downtown area in 1979 to open up as anchor stores in the new Flagstaff Mall, joined in 1986 by Dillard's.
MELISSA WITH A SNOWBALL
By 1987, the Babbitt Brothers Trading Company, which had been a retail fixture in Flagstaff since 1891, had closed its doors at Aspen Avenue and San Francisco Street.

In 1987, the city drafted a new master plan, also known as the Growth Management Guide 2000, which would transform downtown Flagstaff from a shopping and trade center into a regional center for finance, office use, and government. The city built a new city hall, library, and the Coconino County Administrative Building in the downtown district, staking an investment by the local government for years to come. In 1992, the city hired a new manager, Dave Wilcox, who had previously worked at revitalizing the downtown areas of Beloit, Wisconsin and Missoula, Montana. During the 1990s, the downtown area underwent a revitalization, many of the city sidewalks were repaved with decorative brick facing, and a different mix of shops and restaurants opened up to take advantage of the area's historical appeal.
ME WITH SNOWBALL

As home to a major astronomical observatory, the city has recognized an interest in preserving its dark skies by keeping light pollution to a minimum. In 1958, the city council passed the nation's first ordinance governing outdoor lighting, and similar ordinances in the latter half of the 20th century have maintained this commitment to preserving Flagstaff's dark skies. In 2001, Flagstaff was recognized by the International Dark-Sky Association as the world's first "International Dark Sky Community".

Arts and culture

Despite the town's small size, Flagstaff has an active cultural scene. The city is home to the Flagstaff Symphony Orchestra, which is popular among classical music enthusiasts. Concerts are held from September through April at Ardrey Auditorium on the NAU campus.
MELISSA GOT ME
The city also attracts folk and contemporary acoustic musicians, and offers several annual music festivals during the summer months, such as the Flagstaff Friends of Traditional Music Festival, the Flagstaff Music Festival, and Pickin' in the Pines, a three-day bluegrass and acoustic music festival held at the Pine Mountain Amphitheater at Fort Tuthill Fairgrounds.Popular bands play throughout the year at the Orpheum Theater, and free concerts are held during the summer months at Heritage Square.

Flagstaff is home to an active theater scene, featuring several groups. Theatrikos, the community theater company, was founded in 1972 in the basement of the Weatherford Hotel, and today puts on five major productions per year. The group recently moved into a new venue in 2002, the Doris-Harper White Community Playhouse, a downtown building which was built in 1923 as an Elks Lodge and later became the Flagstaff library.
ERIN GOT ME
Since 1995, the Flagstaff Light Opera Company has performed a variety of musical theatre and light opera productions throughout the year at the Sinagua High School auditorium. There are several dance companies in Flagstaff, including the Northern Arizona Preparatory Company and Canyon Movement, which present periodic concerts and collaborate with the Flagstaff Symphony for free concerts during the summer and holiday seasons.

A variety of weekend festivals occur throughout the year. The annual Northern Arizona Book Festival, held in April, brings together nationally known authors to read and display their works.The Flagstaff Mountain Film Festival is held every spring, featuring outdoors, environmental, and other experimental films. The summer months feature several festivals, including Hopi and Navajo Festivals of Arts and Crafts, the Arizona Highland Celtic Festival, and the Made in the Shade Beer Tasting Festival.
MY FAVE PIC OF MELISSA
The Coconino County Fair is held every September at the Fort Tuthill County Fairgrounds, featuring a demolition derby, livestock auction, carnival rides, and other activities.

On New Year's Eve, people gather around the Weatherford Hotel as a 70-pound, 6-foot (1.8 m) tall, metallic pine cone is dropped from the roof at midnight. The tradition originated in 1999, when Henry Taylor and Sam Green (owners of the Weatherford Hotel), decorated a garbage can with paint, lights, and pine cones, and dropped it from the roof of their building to mark the new millennium. By 2003 the event had become tradition, and the current metallic pine cone was designed and built by Frank Mayorga of Mayorga Welding in Flagstaff.

The Museum of Northern Arizona includes displays of the biology, archeology, photography, anthropology, and native art of the Colorado Plateau.
BEFORE I PUT A SNOWBALL IN ERIN SHIRT
The Arboretum at Flagstaff is a 200 acre (81 hectare) arboretum featuring 2,500 species of drought-tolerant native plants representative of the high-desert region.

Route 66, which originally ran between Chicago and Los Angeles, greatly increased the accessibility to the area, and enhanced the culture and tourism in Flagstaff. Route 66 remains a historic route, passing through the city between Barstow, California, and Albuquerque, New Mexico. In early September, the city hosts an annual event, Route 66 Days, to highlight its connection to the famous highway.

Parks and outdoor recreation

Flagstaff has acquired a reputation as a magnet for outdoor enthusiasts, and the region's varied terrain, high elevation, and amenable weather attract campers, backpackers, climbers, and mountain bikers from throughout the southwestern United States.
ME :)
There are 679.2 acres (275 hectares) of city parks in Flagstaff, the largest of which are Thorpe Park and Buffalo Park. Wheeler Park, located adjacent to city hall, is the location of summer concerts and other events. The city maintains an extensive urban trail system, consisting of surface trails for hiking, running, or cycling. The trail network extends throughout the city, connecting the downtown area with the Fort Tuthill Fairgrounds, and extends to Peaks View County Park in Doney Park and Sawmill Multicultural Art and Nature County Park.

The area is a recreational hub for road cycling and mountain biking clubs, organized triathlon events, and annual cross country ski races. Several major river running operators are headquartered in Flagstaff, and the city serves as a base for Grand Canyon and Colorado River expeditions.
ENJOYING THE VIEW

Flagstaff's proximity to Grand Canyon National Park, about 75 miles (120 km) north of the city, has made it a popular tourist destination since the mid-19th century. Other nearby outdoor attractions include Walnut Canyon National Monument, Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument, Wupatki National Monument, and Barringer Crater. Glen Canyon National Recreation Area and Lake Powell are both about 135 mi (216 km) north along U.S. Route 89.

mellemel8 says:
this was indeed an amazing day and drive :)
Posted on: Nov 17, 2008
jenn79 says:
Exactly - this in AZ?!?! How cool!!
Posted on: Nov 17, 2008
OMG SNOW IN AZ!!!!!
MY FAVE PIC OF MELISSA
BEFORE I PUT A SNOWBALL IN ERIN SH…
BEFORE I PUT A SNOWBALL IN ERIN S…
OMG IS THAT SNOW?!?!?!