GOING CACTUS HUNTING

Black Canyon City Travel Blog

ROADIES WITH FEET!!!!

BE BERRY BERRY QUIET I AM HUNTING FOR CACTUS!!!!

I promised princess CW, Melissa that before we leave AZ, that we will take photos with plenty of Saguaro cactuses. She has never been to AZ and she wants photos with it. After leaving Phoenix we were keeping an eye on it. We picked a random exit and made a right. We drove on a dirt road until we saw a bunch of cactus's. Although we drove past a house that reminds me from a horror movie like, Texas chainsaw massacre.  HAHAHHAHA.

OMG after this day until we drive to VEGAS is filled with memorable events that I will never forget.  My stomach was hurting the whole day laughing at Melissa’s reactions and all the teasing we did on poor Melissa. She was a good sport and we love her.

HIGHLIGHTS:

Melissa says “I want to take photos of plumpy cactuses.
HAHHAHAHAHAHA

Melissa says “I don’t like cactuses that old and wrinkled looking.

Melissa says “come here I don’t be alone with the cactus.

Poor Brett, We used him to take photos of us girls taking photos of us behind cactuses.

I told Erin to pole ride a cactus.

Brett took a photo of me grabbing a cactus in a AGGRESTIVE WAY.

Melissa and Erin took photos grabbing the cactus.

I wanted to take a photo of brett pole riding the cactus and he won’t let me.

Erin attempting to take photos with a cactus that looks like Mickey Mouse’s head.

I took photos of Melissa pretending to eat a cactus.

While we taking photos I screamed “BEE BEE BEE  EEEEEEEEEEK IT’S A WASP WASP WASP!!!!!” Erin is allergic to bees and she ran like a bad outta hell. Then I saw Melissa run to the car. Brett yelling at Melissa “DON’T RUN AROUND THE CAR, MELISSA, GET IN IT!!!” OMG I was dying.
THAT IS NOT A COOKIE MELISSA

We were all the car and Melissa was yelling “OMG THERE IS A FLY IN THE CAR”. I tried to lower her window. Melissa is screaming at me “DON’T LOWER MY WINDOW THE BEE IS OUT THERE!!!!” Then I turned around I realized my window is all the way down. Melissa is screaming “MMMMMMEEEEEELANIEEEEEE JUST GET US OUT OF HERE!!!!!!!! “ we were all laughing and cracking up. I had to drive slow cuz it was a dirt road.

I was driving slowly on the dirt road and I yelled “COW COW COW COW” and I was pointing at it.

We were all excited we saw a cow. I parked 20 feet away to not scare the cow.

I warned Melissa not to run towards it. erin and I are cow experts. We learned from the last time not to run or scare them.  They run away cuz they know we eat them.  HAHAHAHHA :P

Melissa says “excuse me cow can you please run away.
RIDE IT GIRL

Melissa does not believe us. We told her to slowly go near the cow. I gave my camera to Melissa while I try to pet the cow.

I walked to the cow slowly. The cow got nervous and slowly got up and walked towards Erin.

While the cow was walking away, it was pooping. We were all cracking up. then it stopped to eat grass.

Erin tried to go near it and it started to pee in front of Erin.  Melissa won’t stop laughing.

Erin was chasing the cow across the street.

Brett is taking photos of us chasing the cow.

Brett recording us running towards the car.

OMG THAT WAS ONE OF THE BEST MOMENTS, MORE TO ADD AS I REMEMEMBER.  MORE PHOTOS FROM ERIN’S BLOG AND BRETT’S BLOG.

OFF TO SEDONA....

HISTORY OF SAGUARO CACTUS

Carnegiea gigantea

(Cereus giganteus)

Sonoran Desert of extreme southeastern California, southern Arizona and adjoining northwestern Mexico.

Habitat

Desert slopes and flats, especially rocky bajadas.

Flowers

Creamy-white, 3-inch-wide flowers with yellow centers bloom May and June. Clustered near the ends of branches, the blossoms open during cooler desert nights and close again by next midday.

The magnificent Saguaro Cactus, the state flower of Arizona, is composed of a tall, thick, fluted, columnar stem, 18 to 24 inches in diameter, often with several large branches (arms) curving upward in the most distinctive conformation of all Southwestern cacti.
THE GIRLS

The skin is smooth and waxy, the trunk and stems have stout, 2-inch spines clustered on their ribs. When water is absorbed , the outer pulp of the Saguaro can expand like an accordion, increasing the diameter of the stem and, in this way, can increase its weight by up to a ton.

The Saguaro often begins life in the shelter of a "nurse" tree or shrub which can provide a shaded, moister habitat for the germination of life. The Saguaro grows very slowly -- perhaps an inch a year -- but to a great height, 15 to 50 feet. The largest plants, with more than 5 arms, are estimated to be 200 years old. An average old Saguaro would have 5 arms and be about 30 feet tall.

The Saguaro has a surprisingly shallow root system , considering its great height and weight. It is supported by a tap root that is only a pad about 3 feet long, as well as numerous stout roots no deeper than a foot, emanating radially from its base.
REMINDS ME OF THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MOVIE
More smaller roots run radially to a distance equal to the height of the Saguaro. These roots wrap about rocks providing adequate anchorage from winds across the rocky bajadas.

The slow growth and great capacity of the Saguaro to store water allow it to flower every year, regardless of rainfall. The night-blooming flowers, about 3 inches wide, have many creamy-white petals around a tube about 4 inches long. Like most cactus, the buds appear on the southeastern exposure of stem tips, and flowers may completely encircle stems in a good year.

A dense group of yellow stamens forms a circle at the top of the tube; the Saguaro has more stamens per flower than any other desert cactus. A sweet nectar accumulates in the bottom of this tube. The Saguaro can only be fertilized by cross-pollination -- pollen from a different cactus.
POOR COW
The sweet nectar, together with the color of the flower, attracts birds, bats and insects, which in acquiring the nectar, pollinate the Saguaro flower.

Unlike the Queen of the Night cactus, not all of the flowers on a single Saguaro bloom at the same time. Instead, over a period of a month or more, only a few of the up to 200 flowers open each night, secreting nectar into their tubes, and awaiting pollination. These flowers close about noon the following day, never to open again. If fertilization has occurred, fruit will begin to form immediately.

The 3-inch, oval, green fruit ripens just before the fall rainy season, splitting open to reveal the bright-red, pulpy flesh which all desert creatures seem to relish. This fruit was an especially important food source to Native Americans of the region who used the flesh, seeds and juice.
COW PEEING IN FRONT OF ERIN
Seeds from the Saguaro fruit are prolific -- as many as 4,000 to a single fruit -- probably the largest number per flower of any desert cactus.

While the Whitewing Dove (whose northern range coincides with range of the Saguaro) is one of its primary pollinators, it is the Gila Woodpecker and the Gilded Flicker who make their home in the Saguaro Cactus by chiseling out small holes in the trunk.

THE GIRLS
REMINDS ME OF THE TEXAS CHAINSAW M…
REMINDS ME OF THE TEXAS CHAINSAW …
TAKE 2