Rodrigues - Forgotten Island

Rodrigues Travel Blog

Untouched beaches
I didn't know much about rodrigues at all before I went there, I chose it simply because I could get there and that it was supposed to be different from mauritius even though it comes politicially under mauritius they live quite a different life there. It's a socialist rural place with volcanic coasts, farms and animals a place to get away from everything for a time.
I spent most of my time here walking the coastline from the port to cotton point and the next day south to port Sud.  I found the kite/wind surfing point on the island in the south east (not that I did either activity as I don't have the skills) but the walk was inspiring and I was in a state of mind that needed that.

One thing that really stood out for me was how many unique species had become extinct since humans had first arrived.
Coastal Farm
They have an eyeopening museum detailing this in the south west of the country , part of the tortoise enclosures there.  Nearby the patate caving system you can walk to, and buses allowed me to get all over the island quite easily. They also deliver other goods via the buses, they're like an additional courier system, I saw all sorts of foodstuffs and mechanical parts delivered in my short time on the island.

The people are great, genuinely friendly right through, I hitch hiked easily one late part of a walk when I missed the last bus a friendly local and his family gave me a lift to port marturin.  They're not rich people material wise but they are in spirit and they look out for each other.
This is one of the few places I wish i'd known some conversational french rather than my very weak fare , luckily the guest house I was staying in had a couple of swiss tourists that acted as translators when they were around and this aided immensely. The food in the guest house was very tasty and seafood based.

I flew back to mauritius glad i'd visited this lesser known island with a strong but humble presence.
Bananas, other fruit
Burnt by a fire long ago
Burnt by a fire long ago
Burnt Chocolate Crystal
Burnt Chocolate Crystal
The spiders of rodrigues!
The spiders of rodrigues!
Rodrigues