Hop to mauritius once more then hop onward to rodriquez

Mahebourg Travel Blog

The water was right there outside my shuttered hotel window

I flew back into mauritius knowing that I'd be flying out onto the island of rodriquez the day after so I chose a place very close to the airport which is in the south east side of mauritius.  I chose mahebourg, not normally on the tourist path. After finding that the hotel I was going to stay in was under repair (and not stayable in) I walked the area and found another hotel with a room in a place right on the waterfront.

The local postmaster who'd had a few to drink invited me back to his house to meet his family and their house was very close to the shop i'd just bought myself a softdrink bottle. His wife and daughter were very friendly and insisted I have some food but declined the softdrink I offered.  I wish them the best whatever they're doing now, to have been so warm and friendly to a stranger, may the good karma you showed me be returned to you a thousand fold.
Mahebourg from the air

On their wall they had a poster which said something like this: "Success is achieving your dreams but happiness is enjoying what you have.", It was one of those strangely poignant moments that sometimes come up in life, somebody else's wisdom reflected back at you.

Later on that night in my wanderings I had an interesting conversation with a different local trying to sell me trinkets (which I had already bought some of when I was in flic-en-flac) he was quite forceful and tried many ways to cagoule me into buying the coral necklaces but to no-avail . Eventually I pried myself loose and went on home to the quiet waterfront hotel room going to sleep to the sound of lapping water at my window marvelling at the extremes one night can show you.
I was only going to stay one night and leave very early in the morning so the proprietor set me up a breakfast that I'd eat on my way out the door in the morning.
I caught the early bus to the airport and flew out to the island of rodriquez for a few days.
The water was right there outside …
The water was right there outside…
Taking off from mauritius airport