Stockholm, a charming city!

Stockholm Travel Blog

One summer, while having a break from university, I desided to do somethink else then working in a retirement home in Norway. I came upon a web side where people from Norden( Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Island, Finland, Denmark, and Greenland) could exchange jobs for the summer. I decided that it was a great idea, end ended up working for the post office in Kungsholmen, Stockholm, as a mail carrier...

Work was great, and as a Norwegian, i can understand Swedish, and they can understand Norwegian, so that wasn't a problem. The people at work were friendly and helpful ,and we had a fun time together.

Arriving in Sweden, where was an office who helped us out with the jobs and also arranged activities for us during the afternoons/evenings. We had a blast. We were 6 Norwegians, 97 from Finland and about 10 from each of the other countries. Every country arranged a night of their national foods, music and different games and fun. Also we had sports and visits.

The Swedish royal family invited us to Drotningholm castle for an opera(never having been to an opera before, I didn't know haw long it lasted.... Ended at 1 am, and I had to get up at 4 am go get to work... But it was ok, and an interesting experience.

The Nobel comitee invited us to the Nobel institute for a brunch, and it was amazing to be a guest at such an arrangement. The city hall is a beautiful building, adn the brunch was great!

Midsummer we spent on Gotlad, an island inbetween Sweden and Finland. Beautiful old buildings, and a social event with parties all through the night.

I came back to Norway afther 2 months with many new friends (most of them from Finland), and a lot of new experiences, both cultural and social. This exchange program is not what well known, so I recommend people from the Nordic countries to check out their web side( if you want to do something different for a summerjob one summer. I didn't know anyone going over, and most people travel solo. With lots of activities offered, there is no chance of feeling lonely:)

tvillingmarit says:
Have been living in Sweden and the Midsummer Celebrating is one of a kind. Loves it
Posted on: May 19, 2008