A weekend in the Costa Rican mountains

Monteverde Travel Blog

Sunset on the Pacific Ocean
What a life I have! En serio, everyday I feel so blessed that I get to study here in Costa Rica and have such unique experiences. I guess I'll start with what my classes are like. I've been bumped up to advanced español (aka 3000 level) which has been great. My profesora has been teaching spanish as a second language for 17 years so she knows just how to do it right. I'll be cramming a years worth in one semester. My other two classes are in English, strictly because they're counting towards upper division economic credits back at The U so I need to do well in them. My favorite class so far is Biological Diversity & Conservation but I've also got Sustainable Development. I think the courses are appropriate since I'm living in a leading country of environmental awareness.

Now the fun stuff.
Zip lining through Monteverde
This weekend started Thursday, of course. Mauricio (my brother), took Michelle and I out to a nice bar in San Jose called Tequila Joe's with a few other friends and Mauriano (the hott Tico with the awesome house in Jacó from last weekend). Que divertido! Friday we hopped on a bus with a group of ISA students from San Jose for six hours to Monteverde in the mountains of the Pacific coast. It was absolutely beautiful, reminding me alot of Volcano National Park on the Big Island. We kept the night mellow with some dinner, bon fire and s'mores, and a little bit of junior high discoteca.

After three cups of café the next morning, we strapped into ziplines that weaved through the trees and across valleys.
Like a mono!
What an amazing thing to do, verdad. I truly felt like I was flying through the forest, speeding hundreds of feet in the air. My favorite part was the "tarzan swing." I screamed like a little girl. Hahaha. It was hard to settle down and mellow out for our horse ride but I rode a beautiful caballo for an hour or so through the forest. I grew up riding my horse, Ladybug, so I was better experienced than most and was getting Silencio to trot at a pretty decent speed.

After a much needed siesta, we took a taxi into town with the most gorgeous guy I've seen so far in Costa Rica. My perfect dark, dreaded, surfer/mountain man hippie. Town was quick because we just wanted to pick up some liquor. The national Costa Rican drink is this stuff called Guaro..... I'm not really sure exactly what its classified as but a 5th was a whopping six bucks! Haha.
Guaro.... my new favorite cheap liquor.
The fiesta was in our suite that night and we did the typical American thing; played drinking games. Part way through the night someone noticed that this old man kept walking back and forth past our window. Me, being the friendliest of drunks, invited him in to party. Dios Mio! Basically he earned the named Hombre Creeper. I've had cocaina pushed so hard on me before. Haha.

Sunday morning we went for a three hour hike in the Reserva Biológica Bosque Nuboso. It was such a beautiful forest with waterfalls, massive trees, and a lookout point where if it wasn't cloudy (it was) you were able to see both the Pacific and the Caribbean Oceans. At that lookout point, I was standing exactly on the Continental Divide. Awesome.

Anyway, life is back to "normal" in Heredia. Our university was so crowded today because the Ticos began classes this week. Muchos guapos. Bueno, I'm off to take a siesta and the take a spinning class at my gym. Hasta luego.

Pura vida,

Lana
Like a mono!
Guaro.... my new favorite cheap li…
Guaro.... my new favorite cheap l…
El puente