Rain, 40oz, hammocks, and no irie vibrations

Puerto Viejo Travel Blog

Rocking J's Hostel
Decided it was about time I made it over to the Caribbean side of Costa Rica this weekend. I've been avoiding the coast because it's been raining like nobody's business since I've got here. It's supposed to be dry season. I checked the weather and it still said rain but I felt that after two months, I should probably just go because it might never clear up.

Got on a 5am bus with Tyler and Michelle and arrived in Puerto Viejo around 11 in the morning. Got off the bus and walked thru the pouring rain to Rocking J's Hostel about ten minutes outside of the town center. The majority of the ISA Heredia group was already there which was kinda a bummer. They're all fun people but I prefer to meet new travelers or non-gringos.
Gringos hanging out at Rocking J's...... in the pouring rain.
Michelle booked a tent for the night and seeing as it was still pouring rain and the beach was not really an option, we walked across the street to a pulperia to buy some 40oz of Imperial. It wasn't even noon. But I actually starting talking to this rastafarian guy named Gregory who was from the H.O.V.E., or for those of you are not FBI, Hawaiian Ocean View Estates on the Big Island. He was awesome!!!! So cool to talk to somebody about home. He was supposed to hook us up but he never came back on his bicycle :(

So basically, since there was nothing to do we just got drunk. By three I passed out in a hammock, woke up around 6 famished. Determined to get some kind of caribbean experience, I ordered some jerk chicken for dinner. Mediocre. Still drunk, freakishly stuffed, and annoyed by the rain, Michelle and I passed out again in some hammocks before retiring to our tent at the early hour of 9pm. There was a live band going off downstairs that sounded like fun, I was just not feelin' it sadly.

Woke up saturday morning, walked into town to buy bus tickets, and headed back to Heredia. Caribbean let me down. We left early because the rain. I didn't get to even see let alone surf Salsa Brava, never found my rasta dread head man, and didn't even get any herb. I'll stick Pacific side for now on.
Rocking Js Hostel
Rocking J's Hostel
Gringos hanging out at Rocking Js…
Gringos hanging out at Rocking J'…
Collin just jammin;.