Monty's Surf Camp

Jiquilillo Travel Blog

I don't even know how to explain the last two and a half weeks in Jiquilillo, Nica. Monty's Surf Lodge was so beautiful. Literally right on the beach with some of the kindest, funniest, and most perverted staff I've ever worked with. Such a great experience to be speaking Spanish all day long, translating (which is what I did mostly), teaching surfing (although that was less frequent than I would have liked), and bartending. The surf was less than I expected. I feel like Monty kinda talked it up a bit. Its a great beginner wave but anything larger was mostly blown out and closing out, daily. But the nights were fun, the days were mellow, and I met some interesting people who came in and out.

Overall, good experience but happy to have moved on.... a good two weeks earlier than expected. Its just time to head out. I can't be held down to someone else's schedule. I go where the wind (or the better surf) takes me. So I'm in Granada today. I figured I should probably get some kinda of city cultural experience while I'm here. Its kinda lame to be alone again. But alas, thats the life of a vagabond is it not?

I'll be headed back to Santa Teresa in costa saturday. Love it there. Figured I should spend my last week in heaven. I fly back to the states the morning of the 24th. Crazy. Will be back to Hawaii on the 30th. Even more crazy. Can I deal?
Chokk says:
I stayed at Monty's one night and you hit it on the nail. I could probably have stayed some days more but then I would need something more. I didn't see any large waves either.
Posted on: Jun 06, 2010