Doin' Nicaragua.

San Juan del Sur Travel Blog

Chicken surf bus!!!!
Wooo hooo! Finally getting a taste of Nicaragua! Michelle and I hopped on a TicaBus and headed north to border town, San Juan del Sur in Nicaragua. Border control was crazy!!!! Didn't understand what was going on at all. They just took our passports and told us to wait outside the bus till we were allowed back on. There were crazy looking , golum type people hobbling all over and I was pretty sure we were gonna get robbed. But all good, back on the bus. We got off at the town of Rivas, literally in the dark on the side of the street. Super super sketchy, we got into a cab and he took us to San Juan del Sur. We checked into Casa Oro Hostel and sat on the curb with some guys we met and drank 40ozs.
Playa Remanso
Haha, sounds just like me right?

Woke up in the morning and got on a chicken bus to Playa Remanso, a beach we were heard had mellower waves than Maderas. There was a group of other guys who wanted a chill day too that came with us. The beach was beautiful, with cabanas all around to hang out in and sea cliffs that reflected the sunlight. The waves were kinda eh. They were closing out and a bit sloppy. I caught a few decent ones but overall, this was not my favorite surf day. I feel so spoiled by Santa Teresa, nothing will ever compare.

That night, we hung out in the curb and drank some more. Hahaha. Oh, and the famous nicaraguan rum Flor de Caña, yeah we bought a handle for about $6!!!!! Nicaragua is soooo cheap! After we got our buzz on, we headed out to a few bars, danced, and drank a little bit.
Toña y la playa!
The usual. Met cool people. Same same.

Saturday morning, we headed off to Playa Maderas with our new friend Richard from England and a bunch of others in a chicken bus. There was a hostel literally right on the beach and nothing else around for miles. The landscape was very dead and dry deserty but still beautiful. The beach was stunning. Huge waves, open sand, massive rock formations. I paddled out into the outside break, ready for a challenge. Man, was it rough. I was the ONLY girl out there and for the first time being down here, felt that Hawaii machismo that I had forgotten about. Kinda freaky. I got a few really nice waves. I'd say around 5-6 feet or so. The biggest I've had so far in C.A. But I was quickly exhausted because the sets were so big and so consistent that I felt like I was in a paddling machine and expended so much energy just trying to get back out to the break.
Playa Maderas
I tried to stay on the inside break but it was only occasional and if I missed it, I got stuck in really powerful white water. After about two hours, I called it a sesh and headed back into shore. Overall, good surf day though. It's nice to challenged a bit.

That night, same as usual, got some pizza with Richard and started drinking on the curb. There was another city wide blackout that made it even more ghetto to be sitting on the curb in Nicaragua, drinking rum with a bunch of strangers. Haha, what am I doing with my life?! But we went back to a bar (running on a generator) and drank and danced some more. Oh, and Amir from Santa Teresa was there too! Yay! Fun times with "old" friends.

Left pretty early in the morning back to Rivas to get a bus back to Costa Rica. We couldn't get on the 8am bus so we sat and waited on the curb in this random little town watching people ride around on bicycles selling hotdogs and coffee. Then this crazy guy came up to us! It looked like someone just slapped this shit out of him with mud. He was wearing pants that were barely covering him and ripped the whole leg down. No shirt. And one rubber slipper and one combat boot. He asked me for money and I said no so he said "Callate su boca!" Hahaha. Too freaking hilarious. My lasting impression of Nicaragua. I like this country :)
Just dancin