All we do is beach it.

Manuel Antonio Travel Blog

Manuel Antonio
Finally!!!!! Back to the beach and lovin' it. This weekend was our final ISA excursion and it can be said that they definitely saved the best for last. Don't get me wrong, I grew up in the mountains and I love being that close to earth. HOWEVER, I also spent 18 years of my life on the beach and in the water so the coast holds a special place in my heart that can't be denied. Anyway, it was back to the Pacific coast of C.R. to Manuel Antonio National Park.

Friday night was pretty mellow. It takes forever on the ISA bus to get anywhere because we apparently have to stop everywhere and wait for 60 gringos to use one gas station bus stop, so we didn't get to our beautiful beach hotel till around 7 pm.
Los monos
Grabbed some overpriced grinds at the hotel beach bar and spent the evening sitting on the sand listening to the waves mixed with Colin's guitar.

Woke up nice and early, grabbed some breakfast (stole the goods for a sandwich), and took a walk on the beach for about 30 minutes to Manuel Antonio's National Park. So beautiful!!!! I've been to some breathtakingly beautiful beaches in my life and now I've just added M.A. to my list. Miles of basically untouched white sand, crystal blue waters, and lush green forests. The sun was strikingly warm, the salt water was instantly theraputic, and my stress level just dropped a few levels. We literally spent six hours laying out, getting tan, frolicking in the ocean, monkey and iguana watching, and being blissful. Sounds cliché but whatever, it was my morning.
¡Salta!
After a sorta siesta at our room, we headed back to the beach in front of the hotel to soak up some more sun and watch the sunset.

Teagan, Michelle, Rachel, and I decided that the night needed some fresh sushi and we walked into Manuel Antonio town to a restaurant that we had spotted earlier in the day. Talk about wonderful. Right on the beach and quite possibly, the best Mahi Mahi that I've ever had in my life. Plus, our waiter forgot to put it on the check so I ate for free! Ya ya! As we were sitting on the beach, enjoying our gelato, two attractive young guys came over to chat. Mi suerte a veces. Jejeje. Anyway, one was Dan from Canada (weird cuz he looked like a Tico) and the other actually was a Tico named Joshua (aka Choco Krispie). Being equally friendly, Michelle and I headed over to their beach bon fire with our bottle of Bacardi Oro.
Teagan, Lana, Michelle, y Rachel
This crazy drunk Tico whom we named "Fernando," had crawled over to the fire from who knows where, and passed out in front of us. Every so often he would roll over, get a little closer, and curse at us in English. He eventually ended the night passed out, lying ontop of his motorcycle. We decided that it would be good fun to head back to our hotel to go for a swim. After a brief stay at the gringo party of our friends, Joshua and I dove into the black water. Talked about traveling, the outdoors, and Spanish. All in good fun. The night ended around 2am and Michelle and I crashed as soon as we got back to the room.

Sunday morning Michelle and I walked back into town to go shopping! Got myself a little reggae dress, beautiful white and blue flower pareo, a much needed beach towel, and some gorgeous handcrafted green-stoned earrings.
Dan the "Canadian."
Then it was back to laying out on the beach for another two blissful hours till we got back on that stupid bus. Too much traffic meant a usually 3 hour bus ride = 5 hour bus ride. Missed the Superbowl, not like I really cared but it would have been the gringa thing to do, ya know.

Anyway, I feel so lucky in my life to be here. Monday through Thursday I'll be in Heredia and then it's back to the beach. I can handle the exhaust, the dirt and grime, school because all that allows me to spend three awesome days a week on vacation. I love my life.

Pura vida
Dan the Canadian.
Dan the "Canadian."
Fernando the Love Machine.
Fernando the Love Machine.