A day trip to Del Mar

Del Mar Travel Blog

Julian, CA

I met a friend in San Diego, for the day.

I had Sun, and Mon off and a friend from Atlanta was visiting California, so I went for the day. I arrived in San Diego at 9 am from Hawaii, this only being possible from the fact of taking the redeye to Phoenix. The trip over was fine due to a couple of Tylenol pm, and the fact that I worked that night before that flight.

My friend I have known for a brief while and is a lot of fun to be around as well as her cousin and her boyfriend where really cool people as well. We opted to go to Julian for the afternoon which is known for its apples, and its Wild West appeal.

The scenery on the road to Julian
It was about a 45 min drive to Julian, which is a sleepy horse town, which was founded in 1870 as a gold mining town. This a quiet little one street town with an old west feels as like Tombstone, AZ.

This town is now known for its apples, and apple season the town is booming and the tourist come here for the apple pies. The best Dutch Apple Pie I have ever tasted came from here. We started the afternoon off with apple cider, and a walk through a used book store. We window shopped in the little shops, offering little trinkets for sale with a local feel. We had lunch at the local BBQ, which was okay, nothing like Texas or Oklahoma. On our drive back we stopped at a bread shop to get some fresh baked bread, WOW the smell when you walk in is heavenly.

When getting back to the apartment in Del Mar a little tired from the drive and from the flight.

The beautiful beach at Del Mar
So a brief nap and couple of football highlights it was time for the beach at sunset, so off we went.

And the clouds were just right as the sun began to set, which I was able to get some amazing pictures. I was surprised to see that in California you cannot smoke on the beach. Which lead more truth to the fact that you cannot smoke in the state of California? We later went to a place call Surf and Saddle, a little hole in the wall bar with interesting live music, where we proceeded to partake in a few libations. We talk with some locals and shared a few games of pool. All in all a really fun day in a short time.

It was a great little trip with a location I have never been with people I really like the company of. Del Mar is a great place with a dog beach and beautiful weather and very friendly people in the area. If I had to move back to mainland it might be here.

mandals says:
Maybe you should move here with me???
Posted on: Nov 06, 2008
The beautiful beach at Del Mar
so good I had to take two.
so good I had to take two.
Nice beach Del Mar, with dogs and …
Nice beach Del Mar, with dogs and…
This was too funny